Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Allergy Alert: Jonlly Fruits Inc. (Bayamòn, PR) recalls the following Jonlly Fruit and Natural Tropic products (1 gal plastic containers and 64-oz bottles; Expiry dates from March 1,2 012 to July 2, 2012), due to the presence of undeclared sodium caseinate (a milk derivative) in the products: China (Orange), Acerola (Wild Cherry), Uva (Grape), Parcha (Passion Fruit), Fruta (Fruit Punch), Limón (Lemon), Toronja (Grapefruit), Guava-Piña (Guava-Pineapple), Guanábana (Soursop), China Light (Orange Light), Mandarin (Mandarina), and China-Zanahoria (Orange-Carrot). The recalled products were distributed through supermarkets, bakeries and retail stores throughout Puerto Rico.
- Food Safety Recall: Mazowsze Deli Inc. (Brooklyn, NY) recalls In-store packed (sliced) Herring (1-lb clear plastic container; no lot or date codes), due to contamination with Listeria monocytogenes. The recalled product was sold only from the deli’s retail location at 420 Church Avenue, Brooklyn, NY.
- Food Safety Recall/Alert: Washington State Department of Health is advising consumers not to eat any fresh or frozen shellfish that comes from Korea, because FDA has removed all certified dealers in the Korean Shellfish Sanitation Program from its Interstate Certified Shellfish Shippers List. The action includes fresh or frozen oysters, clams, mussels and scallops; canned products are not affected.
- Allergy Alert: Pasta-Déli 1995 recalls several prepared entrées due to the presence of undeclared wheat, soy or sulfites. Please refer to the recall notice for a complete list of affected products, which were sold in certain retail establishments in the province of Quebec.
- Allergy Alert: Upper 49th Imports Inc. recalls Designer Whey Protein Powder – French Vanilla (908g; UPC 8 44334 00187 2; Lot code 4111193187B; ENJOY BY JUL 2013) due to the presence of undeclared gluten. The affected product was sold nationally.
- Allergy Alert: Tokushin Enterprises Ltd. recalls Ajinomoto Cook Do Shrimp Stir Fry Sauce (110g; UPC 4 901001 102648; Codes up to and including 2013.3.11), due to the presence of undeclared shellfish. The recalled item was distributed in Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Ontario.
- Food Safety Recall Update: The Canadian Food Inspection Agency releases additional information to aid consumers in the identification of recalled Irresistibles brand beef burgers. Consolidated recall information is available at the E. coli O157:H7 Beef Recall – Canada tab.
- Food Safety Recall (UK): Sainsbury’s recalls Sainsbury’s Basic Tea Cakes (250g 12-pack; Best before 1 September 2012), because the batch may contain small pieces of plastic.
- Cosmetic Product Safety Recall (France): The distributor recalls Souriez Blanc/White Smile “Whitens and Maintains” Teeth Whitener Pen (Lot 041107; Product of USA) due to an excessive concentration of hydrogen peroxide.
- Consumer Product Safety Recall (France): The distributor recalls Pro White Kit de Blanchiment des Dents Professionnel (Lot 001022286 and 0010222645; Product of USA), due to an excessive concentration of hydrogen peroxide.
Australia and New Zealand
- Food Safety Recall (Australia): McWilliam’s Wine Group Ltd. recalls the following varieties of McWilliam’s 2-Lt Fortified Wine due to the possibility that the flagon mouth may be damaged and glass fragments may be present: Royal Reserve Tawny (Lot codes L2104-58 and L281-41), Cream Apera (Lot code L2103-47), Royal Reserve Medium Dry (Lot code L2102-32), Royal Reserve Sweet (Lot code L2102-33), Royal Reserve Muscat (Lot code L2104-56) and Royal Reserve Dry (Lot code L2102-31). The recalled products were sold in major liquor outlets and some independent liquor stores nationally.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.