Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Allergy Alert: Euro Foods, Inc., d.b.a. Citterio USA Corp (Freeland, PA) recalls Citterio Rustico Chorizo Spanish Style (7-oz pkg, containing 24 pieces; Lot 659; Expiration date 8/12/12 or 8/12/12; Est 4010) and Citterio Rustico Chorizo Spanish Style (7-oz pkg, containing 24 pieces; Lot 135; Expiration date 11/30/12; Est 4010), due to the presence of undeclared soy protein. The recalled product was distributed to retail establishments and wholesale distributors in Florida, Maryland, Michigan, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Puerto Rico, Tennessee and Texas.
- Food Safety Recall (from Weekly Enforcement Report): Fresca Foods, Inc. (Louisville, CO) recalls Boulder Ice Cream Organic Chocolate Pudding Ice Cream (3.6-oz; Lot 35587; Best by 03/15/13), Boulder Ice Cream Organic Vanilla (1 pt; Lot 35585; Best by 03/06/13), Boulder Ice Cream Organic Italian Espresso (3.6 oz; Lot 35909; Best by 03/08/13) and Boulder Ice Cream Organic Green Tea (1 pt; Lot 35712; Best by 03/12/13) because the organic raw milk may not be exposed to the full pasteurization controls before being made into ice cream products. The recalled ice cream product were distributed in Colorado and California.
- Consumer Product Recall: Unilever recalls Suave Professionals® New Keratin Infusion 30 Day Smoothing Kit (3-piece kit; UPC 0-79400-19562; All lots) because of potential consumer misunderstanding of the product’s suitability for certain hair conditions.
- Food Safety Recall/Outbreak Alert: The California Department of Food and Agriculture announces a statewide recall and quarantine order for raw milk, raw skim milk (non-fat), raw cream and raw butter produced by Organic Pastures Dairy (Fresno County, CA) after the state confirmed detection of Campylobacter bacteria in raw cream from the dairy. The California Department of Public Health reports at least 10people with Campylobacter infection were identified throughout California and reported consuming Organic Pastures raw milk prior to illness onset. Outbreak patients are residents of Fresno, Los Angeles, San Diego, San Luis Obispo and Santa Clara counties.
- Outbreak Alert Update: The Buncombe County Department of Health reports that tests conducted by the North Carolina Department of Public Health confirm the unopened bag of culture that was added to tempeh tested positive for the outbreak strain of Salmonella Paratyphi B. There have been 63 cases of Salmonella Paratyphi B infections reported to the state public health officials; 58 of those cases are from Buncombe County.
- Outbreak Alert: The Vanderburgh County Health Department and the Indiana State Department of Health are investigating a case of Hepatitis A in a food worker at the Lone Star Restaurant located in the Eastland Place Shopping Center in Evansville, IN. Persons who were exposed between April 27, 2012 to May 3, 2012 and unvaccinated can receive a dose of Hepatitis A vaccine. People who ate or drank at the Lone Star from April 20-26, 2012 may also have been exposed, but should not receive the vaccine as it is not effective for exposure past 14 days.
- Outbreak Alert Update: Small turtles infected with Salmonella Sandiego, Salmonella Pomona and Salmonella Poona are responsible for five separate multistate outbreaks of salmonellosis. A total of 124 people from 27 states have been affected. Nineteen people were hospitalized; two-thirds of the victims are children 10 years of age or younger.
- Allergy Alert: Perestroika Products Ltd. (Burnaby, BC) recalls Real Deal Energy Cookie Oatmeal, Flax & Raisin (650g; Code 01021.12 and 02020.12; UPC 7 75461 76104 2) and POWERflax Energy Cookie High Fiber (650g; Code 32220.11, 32520.11, 01020.12 and 06820.12; UPC 7 76461 76107 3), because the products contain undeclared milk. The recalled products were distributed through London Drugs stores in Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba and Saskatchewan.
- Outbreak Alert: The Public Health Agency of Canada alerts Canadians that several people in the United States and one person in Canada have become ill with a Salmonella infection as a result of contact with pets or pet food contaminated with Salmonella bacteria. A manufacturer in the United States, Diamond Pet Foods, has recalled several batches of its dry pet food due to possible contamination with Salmonella, including pet food that was shipped to Canada. The affected pet food was distributed to British Columbia, Ontario, Quebec and New Brunswick and may have been distributed to other provinces and territories. The single Canadian case of illness is from Quebec. Please see the Diamond Pet Foods, Etc. Recalls – 2012 tab for details of the recalled products.
- Consumer Product Safety Recall: Church & Dwight Canada recalls Spinbrush Pro Clean SONIC Recharge Toothbrushes (Lot codes DD9355 to 9365 and DD0002 to 0122; distributed between February 2010 and October 2011) due to the risks, including fire, shock or burns, posed by the charging base overheating.
- Food Withdrawal (Denmark): Thise Dairy recalls Irma Skyr Naturel (400g cups; Best before 30th May 2012), because the product has an unusual color and flavor due to a small detergent residue.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0632): Carbaryl in oranges from the Dominican Republic; distributed to France.
- Dietary Supplement Safety Notification (EU #2012.0633): Unauthorized sibutramine in food supplement from the Netherlands; distributed to Luxembourg.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0634): Bacillus cereus and Salmonella spp. in whole allspice from Germany; distributed to Austria.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0635): Unsuitable organoleptic characteristics of frozen potatoes from Belgium; distributed to the Czech Republic.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0636): Excessive erucic acid in green chillie pickle from India; distributed to the United Kingdom.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Outbreak Alert (Hong Kong): The Centre for Health Protection is investigating a confirmed case of Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli infection in an 80-year old man who was hospitalized with bloody diarrhea. The patient had no travel history and his home contacts are asymptomatic.
- Contaminated Water Alert (China): China’s Ministry of Land and Resources reported today that “dirty” underground water continues to be a serious problem for Chinese cities, as a majority of monitored sites reported “bad or extremely bad” water quality in 2011.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.