Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Food Safety Recall: Moon Fishery (India) Pty Ltd. recalls Tuna Strips (Product of India; AA or AAA Grade; Imported by Moon Marine USA Corporation), because the product has the potential to be contaminated with Salmonella. The recalled product was supplied to four wholesalers – one each in Georgia, Massachusetts, New Jersey and New York. Distribution has been suspended while FDA and the company investigate the scope of the problem.
- Food Safety Recall/Outbreak Alert: The Louisiana Department of Health and Hospitals has closed a Terrebonne Parish molluscan shellfish harvesting area located in Basin 12, Area 23 and also ordered a recall of all oysters harvested from that area since April 26, 2012 including shucked, frozen, breaded, post- harvest processed and oysters for the half shell market. Fourteen people became ill with stomach viruses (norovirus) after eating the Louisiana oysters at a New Orleans area restaurant on April 28 or 29.
- Allergy Alert: Omega Food Importers Co. Ltd. (Mississauga, ON) recalls Imperial Wafer Cocoa Rolls (280g; UPC 64166 01705), Imperial Wafer Coco Rolls (280g; UPC 64166 01710) and Imperial Wafer Chocolate Rolls (140g; UPC 64166 01700) due to the presence of undeclared peanut. The recall products were distributed in British Columbia, Alberta, Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Ontario.
- Allergy Alert: Tokushin Enterprises Ltd. (Vancouver, BC) recalls S & B brand The Mediterranean Sea Beef Curry Sauce (200g; UPC 4 901002 116330; Lot code up to and including 2012.12.17), because the product contains undeclared fish and milk. The recalled product was distributed in Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba, Ontario, Saskatchewan, and may have been distributed nationally.
- Pet Food Safety Recall: Costco advises its customers of the recall by the US company, Diamond Pet Foods, of the following dry pet food products, due to potential Salmonella contamination: KS Lamb & Rice (18.14KG; item #29504), KS Chicken & Rice (18.14KG Dog Food, item #29506), KS Dry Cat Food (9.07KG, item #190379), KS Natures Domain Salmon & Sweet Potato (item #295700), KS Healthy Weight Dog Food (item #430541), Natures Domain Salmon & Sweet Potato (item #470974), and KS Mature Adult 7-18.14KG Lamb, Rice & Egg (item #779829). Recalled production codes have a “3” in the 9th position AND an “X” in the 11th position. The best-before dates for all of the recalled products are December 9, 2012 through January 31, 2013.
- Food Safety Alert: Toronto Public Health reminds consumers to thoroughly wash and cook fiddleheads to avoid illness. Five recent cases of illness associated with fiddleheads have been reported recently to the city’s Public Health department.
- Allergy Alert (France): Saint-Omer recalls Davelghem Bière d’abbaye 50-cl cans (UPC 3222473531646; Expiry date 22/03/2013; Lot #9094750) and and Davelghem Bière d’abbaye 6 x 25-cl bottles (UPC 3222473531639; Expiry date 06/06/2013; Lot #9094730), due to the presence of undeclared sulphites.
- Food Safety Recall (France): La société Auchan recalls Bouchées à la reine x 6 Pizza Jambon Fromage 30 Toasts Auchan Le Traiteur (Lot 116; Expiry 17 Mai; UPC 3254563875330) due to a labeling error in the expiry date code. The correct expiry date code is 7 Mai.
- Food Safety Alert (Scotland): The Food Standards Agency in Scotland has placed restrictions on the gathering of seafood and bait from an area of Dalgety Bay in Fife affected by radioactive contamination.
- Animal Feed Safety Notification (EU #2012.0624): Salmonella Mbandaka in soy bean meal from Greece; distributed to Cyprus.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0626): Unauthorized ractopamine in chilled boneless beef meat cuts from Canada; distributed to the United Kingdom.
- Animal Feed Safety Notification (EU #2012.0627): Salmonella spp. in lamb meal from the Netherlands; distributed to Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0628): Foreign body (plastic) in cereal bars with chocolate from Germany; distributed to Greece.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0630): Listeria monocytogenes in unpasteurized cheese produced in Sweden, with raw material from France; distributed to Sweden.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0631): Salmonella typhimurium in chilled boneless beef from Uruguay; distributed to Norway.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.