Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Pet Food Safety Recall: Sold Gold Health Products for Pets, Inc. (El Cajon, CA) recalls Solid Gold WolfCub Large Breed Puppy Food (4-lb, 15-lb and 33-lb packs; Best before December 30, 2012; Batch code starting SGB1201) and Solid Gold WolfKing Large Breed Adult Dog Food (4-lb, 15-lb and 28.5-lb packs; Best before December 30, 2012; Batch code starting SGL1201), after being notified by Diamond Pet Foods regarding the presence of Salmonella in Diamond’s Gaston, South Carolina facility. The recalled products were distributed in the United States and Canada from between January and May 2012.
- Consumer Product Safety Alert: Water Pik, Inc. will replace certain SinuSense™ Water Pulsator nasal irrigation devices it manufactured between May, 2010 and July, 2011. This program is being offered in response to consumer complaints that water being used in the Pulsator seeped into the battery compartment leading to battery corrosion, possible reservoir contamination and the need to prematurely replace batteries.
- Outbreak Alert Update: Buncombe County health officials report that the number of Salmonella Paratyphi B cases in the county has risen to 60. The outbreak has been traced to Smiling Hara Tempeh, a fermented soy bean product.
- Food Safety Enforcement Action: The Hawai‘i State Department of Health (DOH) has issued a Notice of Violation and Order against Kanemitsu Inc. and George Kanemitsu dba Kanemitsu Bakery for selling, offering for sale, and distributing food products manufactured and prepared at its facility under unsanitary conditions. A penalty of $90,000 has been issued.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns O’Kroft, Inc. (Rockwall, TX) that a February 2012 inspection of the company’s facility revealed serious violations of the regulations for acidified foods.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Midwest Northern, Inc. (Minneapolis, MN) that a December 2011 inspection of the company’s manufacturing facility found significant violations of FDA’s Current Good Manufacturing Practice (CGMP) regulations for manufacturing, packing, or holding human food.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Riddle Brothers (Hornbeack, TN) that a March 2012 inspection of the company’s seafood processing facility found serious violations of the seafood Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) regulation, and the Current Good Manufacturing Practice (CGMP) regulation for foods.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Purus Labs, Inc., d.b.a. Dark Cyde Supplements (Dallas, TX) that an April/May 2011 inspection of the company’s dietary supplement facility found violations of the Current Good Manufacturing Practice (CGMP) in Manufacturing, Packaging, or Holding Operations for Dietary Supplements regulations.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Boiron Freres SAS (Valence, France) that a December 2011 inspection of the company’s juice processing facility found serious violations of the juice Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) regulation, and the Current Good Manufacturing Practice (CGMP) regulation for foods.
- Consumer Product Safety Recall: Dermolab Pharma (Sainte Julie, QC) and Dermtek Pharmaceuticals Ltd. (Montreal, QC) recall REVERSA Cleansing Micellar Solution (300-mL clear bottle; UPC 06752000455 0; Lot code K0300D) due to possible contamination of the product by the bacterium Burkholderia cepacia. The recalled product was distributed to Shoppers Drug Mart and Pharmaprix stores across Canada.
- Food Safety Alert: Health Canada and the Public Health Agency of Canada remind the public that consumption of certain whole salted fish products like fesikh, a traditional dish in the Egyptian community, represents an increased risk of botulism because of the way they are prepared. The reminder comes on the heels of an outbreak of botulism in Ontario caused by the consumption of fesikh.
- Outbreak Alert Update: Prince Edward Island’s Chief Public Health Office reports that the outbreak of gastroenteritis related to a roast beef dinner prepared by volunteers of the Princetown United Church on Saturday, April 28th has now affected 209 people. Testing of left over foods from the event have revealed the presence of Clostridium perfringens.
- Food Safety Recall (Sweden): OstSpecialisten recalls Delicious brand Roquefort Raw Milk Cheese (Expiry date of 16/5 and 22/5), due to the possible contamination with Listeria monocytogenes. The recalled product was sold between 24/4-2012 to 7/5-2012.
- Food Safety Recall (Greece): Carrefour expands its earlier recall of yogurt desserts to include additional all batches of several flavors, due to mold growth. Please refer to the recall notice for details.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0617): Escherichia coli in fresh basil leaves from Vietnam; distributed to Norway.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0618): Elevated Escherichia coli in chilled green mint from Vietnam; distributed to Norway.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0619): Salmonella Newport in fresh chilled chicken breast fillets from Poland; distributed to Denmark.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0620): Mold in chilled yoghurt dessert with lemon flavor, peach pieces or biscuits from Greece; distributed to Cyprus and Greece.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0621): PCBs in organic eggs from Germany; distributed to Germany and the Netherlands.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0622): High Escherichia coli in fresh green mint from Vietnam; distributed to Norway.
- Animal Feed Safety Notification (EU #2012.0623): Salmonella in sunflower meal from Ukraine; distributed to Poland.
Australia and New Zealand
- Allergy Alert (Australia): Heritage Fine Chocolates recalls four Macro Wholefoods Market brand Lactose-free chocolate products due to the presence of undeclared milk. Please see the recall notice for details of the recalled products, which were sold nationwide in Woolworths, Safeway, Flemings and Food For Less Supermarkets.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.