Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Pet Food Safety Recall: Apex Pet Foods recalls Apex Chicken and Rice Dog dry dog food (20-lb and 40-lb bags; Production code ACD0101B32; Best by date 24-Jan-2013), because the product, which was manufactured in Gaston, South Carolina for Apex by Diamond Pet Foods, may be contaminated with Salmonella. The recalled product was distributed in South Carolina only.
- Pet Food Safety Recall: Whole Foods Market advises its customers that Natural Balance Vegetarian Dog Food (5-lb bags; UPC 7 23633 80855 2; Lot code NBV1201; Best by Dec 9, 2012) has been recalled by Diamond Pet Foods and may be contaminated with Salmonella.
- Outbreak Alert Update: According to CBC News, New Brunswick health officials have confirmed an outbreak strain of E. coli O157:H7 in 13 people in the province, including 11 confirmed cases in Miramichi and two in Bathurst. An additional eleven cases are still under investigation. Five people remain in hospital. The source of the E. coli O157:H7 outbreak is still undetermined.
- Allergy Alert (Finland): HK Ruokatalo recalls HK Aitonakki/HK Real Sausage (500g and 850g packages; Best before 05/13/2012) due to the possible presence of undeclared cheese.
- Food Safety Recall (Belgium): Metro – Makro recalls Horeca Select Darnes d’Espadon/Swordfish Steaks (1000g; Frozen; UPC 5 400151 041023; Lot #737302078370011; Expiry date 21/03/2013), due to an elevated level of heavy metals in the product.
- Outbreak Alert (UK): A norovirus outbreak has been reported in four Plymouth hospital wards, including three wards at Derriford Hospital and one at Mount Gould. The four wards are closed to admissions due to the outbreak.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Food Safety Alert (China): Xinhua news agency reports that vegetable sellers in China have been caught spraying cabbages with a formaldehyde solution to keep them fresh in transit. The practice has become widespread in recent years. Formaldehyde is included in the list of illegal food additives published by China’s health ministry in 2008.
- Chinese Medicine Safety Recall (Hong Kong): Hong Kong Medicine Manufactory recalls Germany Wintex Brand Herbal Sep Capsules, because the chromium level in the gelatin capsules is suspected to be in excess of the recommended 2ppm limit. Preliminary test results by the Government lab revealed a chromium level of 84ppm in a sample; more test results are pending.
- Outbreak Alert (India): Two people are dead and 50 other hospitalized with symptoms of cholera in Kalamb town. Contaminated water is believed to be the source of the outbreak.
- Outbreak Alert (Thailand): More than 8700 cases of diarrhea have been reported in Buriram Province during the first four months of 2012. Health officials are warning the public to eat cooked food, drink clean water and avoid food with swarming flies.
- Outbreak Alert (India): Indore health officials report 318 confirmed cases of typhoid in the district between January 1st and April 28th, 2012.
Latin America and the Caribbean
- Outbreak Alert (Chile): Valparaiso health officials report an outbreak of food poisoning that affected 27 people at the Rosa Agustina Olmué resort. A potato salad (“potatoes with mayonnaise) is believed to be the source of the illnesses.
- Outbreak Alert (Panama): More than 650 cases of diarrhea have been reported in Chiriqui province. Contaminated water is suspected to be the source.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.