Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Allergy Alert: Fatima Brothers (Maspeth, NY) recalls Shad Javantri/Whole Mace (uncoded 3.5-oz plastic bag), due to the presence of undeclared sulfites and FD&C Yellow #5, and unauthorized Rhodamine B and Malachite Green dyes. The recalled product was sold in New York City.
- Allergy Alert: Café-Tasse S.A. recalls Café-Tasse Noir (Dark) Belgian Chocolate Bar (1.58-oz/45g bar; UPC 54000219 505504; Expiry 15-September 2013), because it may contain traces of milk. The recalled product was sold in retail stores in Virginia, Massachusetts, Washington and California from January 2012 through mid-April 2012.
- Food Safety Recall: Alfa Sprouts Inc. (Honeoye Falls, NY) recalls Springwater Sprouts brand Organic Alfalfa Sprouts (4-oz containers; Sell by 4/28/2012; UPC 688267047411 and 042891000523) and Clover Sprouts (3# Bulk containers; Production code P93), due to possible contamination with Listeria monocytogenes. The Clover Sprouts were sold to institutional accounts in Upstate New York. The Alfalfa Sprouts were sold in New York State, including in Tops Friendly Market stores and in the Wegmans store located in Penfield, NY.
- Pet Food Safety Recall: Diamond Pet Foods expands an earlier recall of dry dog food to include the following additional product, after one bag of the product tested positive for Salmonella: Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover’s Soul Adult Light Formula – dry dog food (35-lb bag, Production code CLF0102B31XCW, Best by 27/JAN/2013 and 28/JAN/2013; 35-lb bag, Production code CLF0102B32XWR, Best by 23/JAN/2013; and 6-lb bag, Production code CLF0102B3XALW, Best by 28/JAN/2013).
- Animal Feed Safety Recall: Feed Solutions recalls DuMOR® Poultry Layer 16% Crumbles (Item #0046445; Formula #60Y9; Lot #2MAR15OKC1), because the feed was incorrectly packed and shipped in DuMOR® Poultry Grower/Finisher bags. The recalled feed was produced for Tractor Supply Company and distributed to 12 stores in north and west Texas between March 22 and April 12, 2012.
- Outbreak Alert (North Carolina): The Buncombe County Department of Health is investigating an outbreak of 27 possible cases of Salmonella Paratyphi B infections. All cases appear to have been associated with residence or travel to Buncombe County since February 28, 2012. The source of the contamination has not yet been confirmed.
- Food Safety Recall: Boucherie hongroise (1984) inc. (Montreal, QC) recalls Saucisse Csabai/Csabai sausage (sold either refrigerated or at room temperature up to and including April 24, 2012), because the product was not manufactured under conditions that would ensure microbiological safety.
- Food Safety Recall (France): La Société Chevallier recalls all lots of Neufchâtel-Coeurs-bondes-briquettes cheeses due to contamination with Listeria monocytogenes. The recalled cheeses were sold between March 21, 2012 and April 27, 2012 in cheese departments of the following retailers: Simply à Ferrieres en Bray, Simply à Formerie, Carrefour Mont St. Aignan, and Primevère au Havre.
- Food Safety Recall (Greece): Anelixi Ltd recalls Grzanki Tradycyjne/Natural flavor croutons and Grzanki Ziolowe/Garlic & Onion croutons (Manufactured by Mamut Sp. z.o.o. ul, Poland), after Polish authorities found Salmonella in illegally manufactured egg powder used to manufacture the croutons. Please refer to the recall notice for a list of affected lot and date codes.
- Food Safety Alert (UK): The Food Standards Agency warns people who may have bought any of Le Campagnard, Gaaston or Pernet Mugnier Christian brands of reblochon cheese in France to discard them. The French authorities have issued an alert about potential contamination with the bacteria that causes brucellosis. The affected cheeses were sold from February to April 2012 in 450g packs.
- Veterinary Medicine Safety Recall (Spain): Novartis Sanidad Animal, S.L. recalls Milbemax Chewable Tablets for Small Dogs and Puppies (Lots #33637, 33650, 33664 and 34021), because of out-of-specification results for the concentration of the active ingredient, Milbemicina oxima.
- Food Safety Notification Update (EU #2012.0454): Sodium nitrite marketed as sorbitol from the United Kingdom; distributed to Belgium, France, Germany, Italy, Latvia, Switzerland and the United Kingdom.
Australia and New Zealand
- Consumer Product Safety Recall (Australia): Solaire Pty Ltd recalls Solaire Teeth-Whitener with 16% Hydrogen Peroxide (THP16%), because the product contains hydrogen peroxide in excess of the safe limit of 6% weight/weight. The product was sold nationally in beauty salons and tanning salons.
- Consumer Product Safety Recall (Australia): Solaire Pty Ltd recalls Solaire Teeth-Whitener Carbamide Peroxide 44% (TCP44%), because the product contains carbamide peroxide in excess of the safe limit of 18% weight/weight. The product was sold nationally in beauty salons and tanning salons.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.