Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Big O’ Smokehouse, Inc. (Caledonia, MI) that a January 2012 inspection of the company’s food and seafood processing facility revealed that you have serious violations of the seafood Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) regulation.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Kelley’s Katch (Savannah, TN) that a February 2012 inspection of the company’s seafood processing facility revealed serious violations of the seafood Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) regulation.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Pescaderia La Marinera del 23 SA de CV (Puerto Juarez, Cancun, Mexico) that a September 2011 inspection of the company’s seafood processing facility found serious violations of the seafood Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) regulation.
- Food Safety Advisory (California): The California Department of Public Health advises that the annual quarantine of all sport-harvested mussel species along the California coast begins May 1, 2012. The quarantine, which is intended to protect the public from paralytic shellfish poisoning and domoic acid poisoning, applies to all species of mussels harvested along the California coast, as well as all bays and estuaries.
- Food Safety Advisory: USDA reports having detected a case of bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE) in a dairy cow from central California. The animal was never presented for slaughter for human consumption, and there is no risk to the food supply or human health, according to USDA. BSE (“mad cow disease”) is not transmitted in milk.
- Allergy Alert: Marché du Campanile inc, dba L’Intermarché recalls Saucisse Italienne Forte, Saucisse Italienne Douce and Boudin de Sang de Porc, due to the presence of undeclared wheat. The company also recalls Saucisse merguez due to the presence of undeclared soy, wheat and modified dairy products. The recalled foods were sold in variable weight formats on or before April 23, 2012.
- Allergy Alert: Commerce Caneast Inc. and Transhing Investment Inc. (QC) recall Koh-Kae Peanuts with Thai Tom Yum Spicy Flavour Coated (230g; all lot codes; UPC 8 852023 666549), due to the presence of a chemical additive and undeclared shellfish/crustacean. The recalled product was sold in Quebec.
- Allergy Alert: Benfield Inc. recalls Plain Soy Beverage (Unknown brand – Chinese characters only; 2L; Best before May 16/2012 and May 20/2012; UPC 6 27843 16403 6), due to the presence of undeclared sesame seeds. The recalled product was sold in Ontario.
- Health Hazard Alert/Outbreak Alert Update: Canadian Food Inspection Agency warns the public not to consume whole fesikh mullet, cut up fesikh mullet in oil, and whole fesikh shad (Various count and weight packages; sold from Lotus Catering and Fine Food, 1960 Lawrence Ave. E, Toronto, ON, on or before April 17, 2012) because they may be contaminated with Clostridium botulinum. Three cases of botulism have been reported in Peel Region, where victims shared a common meal at a gathering on April 16th. The meal included prepared salted mullet (fesikh), which is consumed primarily during an Egyptian holiday marking the start of spring.
- Allergy Alert (Italy): Simply Market Pompeo (Milan) recalls Filetti di platessa impanati surgelati/Breaded Plaice Filets, frozen (Produced by Northseafood Holland B.V.; Lot #2060 and 2072; Expiry 08/2013 and 09/2013, respectively), due to the presence of undeclared gluten.
- Food Safety Recall (Switzerland): Migros recalls Bonherba “sugar free” herb candy (Article #1010.816; Lot L1654), because the product may contain sugar, which could endanger the health of diabetics.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0543): Salmonella Dublin in frozen beef from Ireland; distributed to Sweden.
- Food Safety and Allergy Alert Notification (EU #2012.0545): Salmonella spp. and undeclared soy in organic bread meal mix with hemp from Germany; distributed to Finland.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0547): Mercury in frozen swordfish fillets from Spain; distributed to Spain; notified by Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0554): Mold and insect infestation and unsuitable organoleptic characteristics of roasted cashew nuts from India, via Slovakia; distributed to the Czech Republic.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0555): Salmonella spp. in frozen suckling pig racks from France; distributed to Sweden.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0557): Listeria monocytogenes in pork sausage from Spain; distributed to Italy.
- Allergy Alert Notification (EU #2012.0558): Undeclared milk ingredient in chocolates from Belgium; distributed to the United Kingdom.
- Allergy Alert Notification (EU #2012.0559): Undeclared milk ingredient in dark chocolate from Belgium; distributed to the United Kingdom.
- Animal Feed Safety Notification (EU #2012.0560): Salmonella Agona in soya bean meal from Argentina; distributed to Denmark, Germany and Norway.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0562): High Escherichia coli count in chilled basil leaves from Vietnam; distributed to Norway.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0563): High Escherichia coli count in chilled celery from Vietnam; distributed to Norway.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Food Safety Alert (Hong Kong): The Centre for Food Safety reports that one sample of balsamic vinaigrette imported from the USA and another sample of sports drink powder imported from Japan were found to contain plasticisers, Di-isodecyl phthalate (DIDP) and di(2-ethylhexyl)phthalate (DEHP) respectively. CFS advises the public to stop consuming the affected products and has instructed the trade to stop selling them. Please refer to the CFS Press Release for details on both affected products.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.