Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Allergy Alert: Old Style Sausage (Denver, CO) recalls Old Style Sausage Bratwurst German Brand Sausage, Colorado Rocky Brat Amber Beer Bratwurst, Old Style Sausage Boulder Porter Bratwurst, Rocky Brat 1 Colorado Rocky Bratwurst, Old Style Sausage Rocky Brat II Colorado Rocky Bratwurst, Old Style Sausage Rocky Brats III Colorado Rocky Bratwurst, Colorado Rocky Brat Pork & Elk Bratwurst, and Colorado Rocky Brat Pork & Buffalo Bratwurst (12-lb cases; Est 8126; Produced prior to April 18, 2012; No packaging date or code), because the products contain undeclared egg. The recalled products were supplied to restaurants in Colorado.
- Food Safety Recall: Albie’s Foods (Gaylord, MI) recalls Albie’s Pizza Calzone (pkgs containing 48 4.5-oz pieces; Produced April 10, 2012; Est 10100), because the product may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes. The recalled product was shipped to institutions in Indiana and Michigan.
- Dietary Supplement Safety Recall: XROCK INDUSTRIES (Fort Lauderdale, FL) recalls X-ROCK for Men (One capsule blister card, sold individually; All lot numbers; All expiry dates; UPC 0030950792) after analytical tests conducted by FDA reveal the presence of sildenafil and hydroxythiohomosildenafil. Sildenafil is the active pharmaceutical ingredient in an FDA-approved drug used to treat erectile dysfunction, and may cause serious side effects in some individuals.
- Food Safety Enforcement Action (Hawaii): The Hawai’i State Department of Health embargoes approximately 28 acres of fresh basil produced by FAT Law’s Farm, Inc. due to the presence of methomyl, an unapproved pesticide.
- Food Safety Alert (Tennessee): Tennessee Agriculture and Health officials are warning the public in and around Nashville that a truck load of potatoes destined for a landfill after being exposed to smoke and fire retardant was discovered missing and possibly distributed to unsuspecting area residents. Consumers should not accept or eat potatoes that were not purchased from a reputable source or retail outlet.
- Allergy Alert: Kub Bakery Ltd. recalls Kub Bread brand Pumpernickel Bread (454g; UPC 0 72467 00116 6), due to the presence of undeclared soy. The recalled bread was sold in Manitoba.
- Allergy Alert: Overwaitea Food Group LP recalls All Butter Croissants (6-ct; UPC 062639 418908; Packed on dates up to Apr.13.12), Mini Croissants (12-ct; UPC 062639 419066; Packed on dates up to Apr.13.12), Dessert Croissants (2-ct; UPC 062639 414436; Packed on dates up to Apr.14.12), Fresh Oven Quality Croissants (4=ct; UPC 062639 413118; Packed on dates up to Apr.13.12), Butter Croissants (8-ct; UPC 062639 412692; Packed on dates up to Apr.13.12) and Croissants (12-ct; UPC 062639 411237; Packed on dates up to Apr.13.12), due to the presence of undeclared egg. The recalled croissants were sold in Alberta and British Columbia.
- Allergy Alert: Qualifirst Foods Ltd. recalls Nicole’s Divine Crackers – Dilly Dillingham (142g; Lot 11-143; UPC 7 32843 74494 9), due to the presence of undeclared gluten. The recalled product was sold nationally.
- Allergy Alert: Uncle T Food Ltd. recalls (Japanese characters only) Noodles (135g; All codes; UPC 4 902881 048651), due to the presence of undeclared egg. The recalled product was sold in Alberta, British Columbia and Ontario.
- Food Safety Recall: The Berwick Meadowbrook Meat Market (Berwick, NS) recalls Fully Cooked Boneless Hams (Best before dates of April 1 and April 3), because they may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes. The recalled hams were sold at the Meadowbrook Meat Market retail store in Berwick and at Alderney Landing Farm Market in Dartmouth. There also was limited wholesale distribution of the recalled hams in mainland Nova Scotia.
- Health Hazard/Outbreak Alert: The Canadian Food Inspection Agency warns the public not to consume Whole Fesikh Mullet and Cut Up Fesikh Mullet In Oil (variable count and weight packages; no code or date information; sold from Lotus Catering and Find Food, 1960 Lawrence Ave. E., Toronto, Ontario on or before April 17, 2012), because the products may be contaminated with Clostridium botulinum. There have been three reported illnesses associated with the consumption of this product. Fesikh is a salted and cured fish product. The implicated whole and cut up fesikh was sold in Ontario. The province’s Chief Medical Officer of Health, Dr. Arlene King is strongly advising the public to avoid consuming these products.
- Consumer Product Safety Recall: Costco Canada recalls certain articles of Children’s Jewellery sold from April 2nd to April 20th, 2012, because a component of the closure rings of these articles of jewellery have an unacceptable level of cadmium. Please refer to the recall notice for a list of affected products.
- Allergy Alert (Belgium): Café-Tasse SA recalls Café-Tasse brand Chocolat fin Artisanal, Noir/Fine Artisan Dark Chocolate (45g; Lot 11 303249; Expiry 15/04/2012), due to the presence of undeclared milk.
- Food Safety Recall (Greece): Luncheon Mit Evros SA recalls Franka Luncheon Thrace Frankfurter Sausages (380g vacuum packs; Expiry 6/28/2012), after government testing found Listeria monocytogenes in a sample.
- Food Safety Recall (Germany): Al Durra Food Products (Syria) recalls Durra Sesame Tahini due to Salmonella contamination.
- Food Safety Recall (Italy): FinPesca Srl recalls Merluzzo Nordico/Northern Cod (EAN 2112070/211570; Lot 2/35987) after parasites were reported in a sample of fish from the same batch.
- Dietary Supplement Safety Recall (France): French health authorities have ordered the recall of POWERtabs Dietary Supplement for Men (10 capsules/bottle, expiring 2013-12; 20 capsules/bottle, expiring 2013-12; and 2-capsule packages, expiring 2015-01), because these products contain undeclared and unauthorized dithio desmethyl carbodenafil, an active pharmaceutical ingredient.
Latin America and the Caribbean
- Outbreak Alert (Peru): BBC reports that more than 90 police officers at Mazuco police base in Tambopata province were taken to hospital with food poisoning symptoms after eating chicken soup. An additional 60 police officers were treated at the base medical post.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.