Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Allergy Alert: Kathy Kaye Foods, LLC recalls Classic Caramel Cob Junior (2.5-oz cello pkgs; Best by December 23, 2011; UPC 896324001041), due to the presence of undeclared peanut. The recalled products were sold between June and December 2011 primarily through Christmas Tree Shops in Alabama, Connecticut, Delaware, Georgia, Indiana, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Texas, Vermont, and Virginia, and through Gem State Distributors in Utah and Idaho.
- Allergy Alert: Mediterra S.A. (Chios, Greece) recalls Mastihashop brand Pie with Chios Mastiha (80g; LOT #09120202; Best before 12/30/2012), Honey Pie with Almonds (80g; LOT #27111107; Best before 06/30/2012), Halva Pie with Chios Mastiha and Peanuts (80g; LOT #85111104; Best before 06/25/2012), Figs Stuffed with Almonds (360g; LOT #16111115; Best before 04/30/2012), Greek Garlic Spread with Chios Mastiha (180g; LOT #03110916; Best before 09/30/2012), Handmade Trahana Pasta with Mastiha (340g; LOT #03101125; Best before 04/30/2012), Smoked Eggplant Spread with Chios Mastiha (180g; LOT #3111020; Best before 04/30/2013), and Spicy Garlic Spread with Chios Mastiha (180g; LOT #01110916; Best before 09/30/2012), due to the presence of one or more undeclared allergens, including egg, wheat and almonds. Please see the recall notice for additional details.
- Allergy Alert: John B. Sanfilippo and Son, Inc. recalls Fisher Vanilla Bean Almonds (10-oz pkg; UPC 07069002390; Best by 09/20/13 GH1 and 09/28/13 GH1) and Fisher Cocoa Mocha Almonds (10-oz pkg; UPC 07069002389; Best by 09/28/13 GH1), due to the presence of undeclared soy. The recalled product was sold in Wisconsin.
- Allergy Alert: The Kroger Company recalls Kroger Taco Dinner Kit (12-count, 9.75 oz) due to the presence of undeclared milk. The recalled product was sold in Kroger stores located in Greater Cincinnati, including Northern Kentucky, Dayton, OH and South Eastern Indiana, Central and Northwest Ohio and N. West Virginia panhandle, Indiana (except SW IN, -Evansville-), Illinois, Eastern Missouri, Michigan, Greater Louisville (including Indiana), Lexington, and Nashville, TN; Jay C, Dillons, Baker’s, Gerbes, Food4Less and FoodsCo stores.
- Food Safety Recall: Town and Country Foods Inc. (Greene, ME) recalls Town & Country Foods XL Hamburg Patties (5- and 10- lb. boxes of 2-, 2.6-, 3-, and 4- oz.), Town & Country Foods Hamburg Patties (5- and 10- lb. boxes of 2-, 2.6-, 3-, and 4- oz.), Town & Country Beef for Stewing (10- lb. box containing variously weighted bags), Town & Country Beef Sirloin Filets (6-, 8-, and 10- oz. ), Town and Country Hamburg (5- and 10- lb. boxes containing variously weighted bags) and Town and Country XL Hamburg (5- and 10- lb. boxes containing variously weighted bags), because the beef products may be contaminated with E. coli O157:H7. Cases bear the establishment number EST. 9710, and the products are labeled with the packaging codes 10952, 10962, 10972, 11002, and 11012. Recalled products were produced between April 4th and April 10th, 2012 and shipped to wholesale and retail establishments in Maine.
- Food Safety Recall: Heineken USA (White Plains, NY) recalls Carta Blanca Bottled Mexican Beer (12-oz brown bottles in 6-packs and 12-packs), Dos Equis Ambar Bottled Mexican Beer (12-oz brown bottles in 6-ppacks and 12-packs), Best of Mexico variety pack (12-pack variety package containing Dos Equis Ambar brown bottle and Indio 12-oz bottles; sold only in Texas) and Beers of Mexico variety packs (12-pack and 24-pack variety packages containing Dos Equis Ambar 12-oz brown bottles), because these beers may contain small grains or particles of glass. Please check the Production Code Listing for a list of affected lot codes.
- FDA Enforcement Action: FDA enters into consent decree with Yamaya USA, Inc. (Torrance, CA) and its president, preventing the company from manufacturing or distributing fish or fish products until it has corrected conditions in its seafood processing facility alleged to be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes bacteria.
- Outbreak Alert Update: The Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services has confirmed two more illnesses in an outbreak of E. coli O157:H7 that may be linked to consumption of raw milk. Illnesses have been reported in Boone (3), Cooper (2), Howard (1) and Camden (1) counties. Two victims – a 2-year old and a 1-month old – are hospitalized after developing symptoms of hemolytic uremic syndrome, according to Food Safety News.
- Outbreak Alert: Residents of British Columbia who, within the past 14 days, have consumed Pomeberry Blend frozen berries manufactured by Western Family may be eligible to receive a dose of hepatitis A vaccine. The BC Centre for Disease Control, regional health authorities and the Canadian Food Inspection Agency have been investigating five cases of hepatitis A in people who consumed Pomeberry Blend frozen fruit. The implicated fruit, which was recalled on April 5, 2012, was distributed to Save-On-Food, Price Smart and affiliated Overwaitea stores.
- Allergy Alert (Denmark): Butcher Department SuperBrugsen recalls Block Salami (various size pieces; All expiration dates) due to the presence of undeclared lactose.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0525): Carbaryl in orange from France; distributed to France.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0526): Histamine in fillets of anchovies in olive oil from Italy; distributed to Malta.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.