Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Allergy Alert: Biscomerica Corp recalls Knott’s Berry Farm 12/8/2 Boysenberry, Blueberry, Raspberry and Strawberry Cookies in display cartons (Items #59680, 59675, 59670 and 59695, respectively; 16 oz cartons with 8 individual 2-oz packages; Expiration dates between April 01, 2012 and December OS, 2012), due to the presence of undeclared milk (ingredient identified as “whey”). The recalled cookies were distributed between August 01, 2011 and April 5, 2012 nationwide in retail stores and through mail orders. Knott’s Berry Farm 12/8/2 was distributed to Calgary, AB (Note: recall notice erroneously says “BC”), American Canyon, CA, Anaheim, CA, Berkeley, CA, City Industry, CA, Commerce, CA, Concord, CA, Corona, CA, Chatsworth, CA, Encino, CA, El Cajon, CA, Irwindale, CA, Long Beach, CA, Los Angeles, CA, Napa, CA, San Jose, CA, San Leandro, CA, San Ysidro, CA, San Diego, CA, South El Monte, CA, Spring Valley, CA, Vernon, CA, Denver, CO, Miami, FL, Hilo, HI, Honolulu, HI, Indianapolis, IN, Grand Rapids, M,I Washington, MD, Gibbstown, NJ, Nassau, NS, Bronx, NY, College Point, NY, Delta, OH, Mountville, PA, North Kingstown, RI, Dallas, TX, Seattle, WA and Green Bay, WI through retail stores.
- Allergy Alert: Rajbhog Foods Inc. recalls Vegetable Biryani (10-oz frozen food carton; Inner box liner marked with U9299), due to the presence of undeclared cashews. The recalled product was distributed nationwide in retail stores between February 21, 2012 and April 6, 2012.
- Allergy Alert Update: USDA releases retail distribution information for Al Baghdadi Food Fully Cooked Potato Chop Middle Eastern Brand Mashed Potato Stuffed with Beef Filling Artificially Colored stuffed potato product, recalled by the manufacturer due to the presence of undeclared soy and milk.
- Consumer Product Safety Recall: Enesco, LLC recalls ONIM Any Wine Will Do ceramic wine goblets (SKU #4026171), because the goblets may exceed FDA guidance levels for leachable lead and cadmium. The recalled goblets were sold to retail stores in AR, CA, CO, FL, HI, IA, IL, IN, KS, KY, MD, MO, MI, MS, NC, ND, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OH, OR, PA, SD, TX, VA, VT, WA and WI.
- FDA Enforcement Action: FDA enters consent decree with Del Bueno (Grandview, WA), due to Listeria monocytogenes contamination. Under the consent decree, Del Bueno cannot process or distribute food until it demonstrates that it has developed a control program to eliminate Listeria monocytogenes from its production facility and products.
- OTC Pharmaceutical Product Safety Recall: Giant Food Stores recalls Little Fevers Childrens Pain Relief – Dye-free Cherry (4 OL; UPC 75618410124), because some of the acetaminophen may come out of suspension in the product and diminish effectiveness.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Lucky Taco, Inc. (Hustisford, WI) that a December 2011 inspection of the company’s facility revealed significant labeling violations that resulted in the company’s products being adulterated and misbranded within the meaning of the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Health One Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (El Monte, CA) that a September/October inspection of the company’s dietary supplement manufacturing facility revealed serious violations of FDA’s Current Good Manufacturing Practice (CGMP) in Manufacturing, Packaging, Labeling, or Holding Operations for Dietary Supplements regulation.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Fells Point Wholesale Meats, Inc. (Baltimore, MD) that a December 2011 inspection of the company’s pet food manufacturing and seafood warehouse facility revealed serious violations of the seafood Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) regulation.
- Food Safety Recall: Fair Trading Co. Ltd. recalls We-We Sweet Prune (80g; UPC 0 29173 06017 8) and We-We Red Sweet Prune (80g; UPC 0 29173 06021 5), due to the presence of an additive (not specified in the recall notice). The recalled products were distributed in Quebec and Ontario.
- Allergy Alert (Greece): Carrefour Marinopoulos SA recalls Carrefour l’Abbaye Beer (500ml; UPC 3560070209187; all lots) and Carrefour l’Abbaye Beer (6 x 250ml; UPC 3560070138500; all lots), due to the presence of undeclared sulfite. The recalled beers were imported into Greece from France.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0508): Salmonella Newport in chicken breast fillet from Poland; distributed to Denmark.
- Allergy Alert Notification (EU #2012.0513): Undeclared sulphite in chilled rose shrimps from Senegal; distributed to Italy.
- Allergy Alert Notification (EU #2012.0515): Undeclared sulphite in frozen shelled pink shrimp from Tunisia; distributed to Italy.
- Animal Feed Safety Notification (EU #2012.0517): Salmonella spp. in processed animal proteins from the Netherlands; distributed to Belgium.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0519): Carbaryl in oranges from the Dominican Republic; distributed to France.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Oral Medication Alert (Hong Kong): The Department of Health warns the public not to buy or consume Ling Zhi She Ziang Tong Mai Dan, as it may contain the undeclared Western drug dexamethasone. The product was purchased in Malaysia.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.