Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Allergy Alert: Threeline Imports, Inc. (Brooklyn, NY) recalls Kypoyka Bisquit (21.16 oz cardboard box; Container code 072611 042612), because the product may contain undeclared eggs. The recalled product was sold in New York State and Florida.
- Allergy Alert: Los Olivos LTD (Farmingdale, NY) recalls Pan de Torta bread (16-oz pkg; Lot 50912), due to the presence of undeclared milk. The recalled Pan de Torta was sold to Queso La Ricura (225 Park Avenue Hicksville NY 11801) and distributed throughout Long Island, Brooklyn, Queen’s., Manhattan, Staten Island and the Bronx and New Jersey, and also was distributed nationwide by other distributors.
- Allergy Alert: TWI Foods Inc (Mississauga, Ontario, Canada) recalls Crispy Pistachio Cookies (200g and 400g), Crispy Almond Cookies (200g and 400g), Crispy Coconut Cookies (200g and 400g) and Crispy Almond Cake Rusk (750g), due to the presence of undeclared milk and almonds. The recalled products were supplied to 28 United States distributors in 15 states including California, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Texas, Virginia, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Ohio, Oregon, and Washington.
- Allergy Alert: Odwalla, Inc. recalls Odwalla Chocolate Protein Monster Beverage (12-oz bottles; UPC 14054 13509; Enjoy by dates prior to 23 MAY 2012), Odwalla Chocolate Protein Monster Beverage (32-oz bottles; UPC 14054 13504; Enjoy by dates prior to 23 MAY 2012) and Odwalla Protein Monster “Variety Pack” (12-oz bottles, four of which are Odwalla Chocolate Protein Monster; UPC 0 14054 26659 6; Enjoy by dates prior to 23 MAY 2012; Sold exclusively at Costco), after receiving four consumer reports of allergic reactions after drinking the product. The recalled products may contain undeclared peanuts and/or tree nuts.
- Allergy Alert: Odwalla, Inc. recalls Odwalla Chocolate Protein beverage (355mL bottles; Enjoy by dates prior to and including 2012 MA 23; UPC 014054135892), because of reports from US consumers allergic to peanuts or peanuts and tree nuts who experienced severe allergic reactions.
- Allergy Alert: Canadian Natural & Specialty Brands recalls Sunstart Brand Chocolate Chip Cookies (198g pkgs; UPC 8 77099 00002 6; All lot codes) and Sunstart Brand Chocolate & Orange Cookies (198g pkgs; UPC 8 77099 00005 7; All lot codes), due to undeclared milk. The products were distributed nationally.
- Food Safety Alert: Canadian Food Inspection Agency warns the public not to consume Ayyam Zaman brand Extra Fine Tahina (400g packages; UPC 6 217000 429807; Code starting with EXP 10/08), because the product may be contaminated with Salmonella. The recalled product is known to have been distributed in Ontario, and may also have been distributed in other provinces.
- Food Safety Recall/Outbreak Alert: Overwaitea Food Group (Vancouver, BC) recalls Western Family brand Pomeberry Blend Berries, Frozen (600g pkgs; UPC 0 62639 31347 0; All lot codes), because the berries may be contaminated with Hepatitis A virus. The recalled product was distributed in British Columbia, Alberta and Ontario, and may also have been sold in other provinces. The BC Centre for Disease Control and regional health authorities are investigating eight cases of Hepatitis A that have occurred over the past two months. Five of the eight patients are known to have consumed the Pomeberry product, which contains frozen pomegranate seeds, blueberries, strawberries and cherries; however, no direct link has been confirmed to date. The product was manufactured by Western Family and distributed through Overwaitea and Save-On-Foods.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Outbreak Alert (Malaysia): Free milk is blamed for 212 cases of food poisoning reported among pupils at three different schools.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.