Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Allergy Alert: Fung Shing International Corp (Maspeth, NY) recalls Star Light Coconut Candy Keo Dua (7-oz plastic dish; Product of Vietnam; UPC 8936015503088; No lot/date codes), due to the presence of undeclared milk. The recalled product was sold in New York and Ohio.
- Allergy Alert: Fung Shing International Corp (Maspeth, NY) recalls Star Light Coconut Candy Keo Dua La Dua (7-oz plastic dish; Product of Vietnam; UPC 8936015503071; No lot/date codes), due to the presence of undeclared milk. The recalled product was sold in New York and Ohio.
- Food Safety Recall: PGP International, Inc. (Juda, WI) recalls Whey Protein Isolate, 90% (1500-lb Supersacks and 20 kg Kraft lined bags; Lot #J1360, J1361, J1364, J1365, J2015, J2026, J2027, J2028, J2029, J2030, J2034, J2035, J2036, J2037, and J2038) and Whey Protein Hydrolysate, 90% (20 kg Kraft lined bags; Lot #J1364 and J2034), because the products (127,335 lbs in total) may be contaminated with Salmonella. The firm-initiated recall was carried out by telephone or email and a follow-up letter on March 15, 2012, and is ongoing. The recalled products were distributed to Illinois, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota and Wisconsin.
- Food Recall: Bi-Lo recalls Southern Home Grated Parmesan Cheese (3 oz and 8 oz sizes), Southern Home Grated Parmesan and Romano Cheese (8 oz) and Southern Home 1/3 Less Fat Grated Parmesan Cheese (8 oz), due to a quality problem.
- Allergy Alert: Uncle T Food Ltd (Richmond, BC) recalls Sanyo S.Itiban brand Salt Sauce Noodle (5 x 100g pkgs; Product of Japan; UPC 4 901734 000280; All lots), due to the presence of undeclared milk. The recalled product was distributed in Alberta, British Columbia and Ontario.
- Food Safety Alert: Canada Safeway and the Canadian Food Inspection Agency warn the public not to consume Boskovich brand Fresh Parsley (sold in bunches enclosed with a band indicating the Boskovich brand and Product of USA), because the product may be contaminated with Cryptosporidium. The affected product was sold only on March 19, 2012 from the Canada Safeway store located at 124 Primrose Dr., Lawson Heights Mall, Saskatoon, SK.
- Food Safety Recall Expansion: Mumm’s Sprouting Seeds Ltd. (Parkside, SK) recalls Sprouting Seeds Display Pack (75g sunflower pack; UPC 7 73295 11293 1; Lot 4DPSM13) and Sprouting Seeds Best Sellers (2 x 75g sunflower packs; UPC 7 73295 11290 0; Lot 1BSSM21), because the seeds may be contaminated with Salmonella. The recalled products are known to have been distributed in British Columbia, Saskatchewan and New Brunswick and may have been distributed nationally.
- Allergy Alert (UK): Creme D’Or Ltd. withdraws Cafe Tasse Chocolat Fin Artisanal Noir (45g bar; Best before 15 September 2013), due to the presence of undeclared milk.
- Allergy Alert (UK): Musgrave Retail Partners NI withdraws Centra Italian Bolognese Ravioli (250g; All date codes; Supplied to Centra and SuperValu stores in Northern Ireland) and SuperValu Italian Bolognese Ravioli (250; All date codes; Supplied to Centra and SuperValu stores in Northern Ireland and Budgens stores in the UK), due to the presence of celery that was not declared in the allergy information box.
- Food Safety Alert (Germany): Germany warns the public about the presence of dioxins in excess of allowable limits in eggs from two producers, and warns that eggs from a producer of organic eggs may have been exposed to dioxin-like PCBs.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0492): Excessive aluminium in sweet potato vermicelli from China, via the Netherlands; distributed to Germany.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0495): Oxamyl in string beans from Morocco; distributed to Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0497): Insect infestation in peas from Poland; distributed to Ireland, Poland and the United Kingdom.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0499): Pesticide residues in chilled lollo rosso lettuce from France; distributed to Germany.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0500): Escherichia coli in frozen jackknife clams from Italy; distributed to Italy and Slovenia.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0502): Mercury in dried porcini mushrooms from China; distributed to Austria, Germany and Kazakhstan.
- Allergy Alert Notification (EU #2012.0503): Undeclared milk in dark chocolate from Italy; distributed to Italy and the United Kingdom.
Australia and New Zealand
- Allergy Alert (Australia): Woolworths Ltd. recalls Macro Whole Foods Dark Chocolate Easter Egg and Twist Sweets – lactose free (All Best before dates) and Macro Whole Foods Dark Chocolate Easter Bunny – lactose free (All Best before dates), due to the presence of undeclared milk. The recalled products were sold in Woolworths, Safeway, Flemings and Food for Less Supermarkets nationally.
- Allergy Alert (Australia): Heritage Fine Chocolates recalls Heritage Belgian Milk Chocolate Egg with Exquisite Chocolate Truffes (270g brown cardboard box; Batch #M011, M012, M013, M014 and M016), due to the presence of undeclared almond, hazelnut and gluten. The recalled product was sold nationally in Coles Supermarkets.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.