Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Allergy Alert: Al Baghdadi Food Inc. (Hazel Park, MI) recalls All Baghdadi Food Fully Cooked Potato Chop Middle Eastern Brand Mashed Potato Stuffed with Beef Filling Artificially Colored (pkgs containing 12 pieces; Est 44182; Produced between Aug. 16, 2011 and April 2, 2012), due to the presence of undeclared soy and milk. The recalled products were sold to retail stores, institutions and wholesale establishments in Arizona, Illinois and Michigan.
- Food Safety Recall: The Pennsylvania Departments of Agriculture and of Health ordered the recall of raw milk sold in plastic bottles and raw milk cheese (Bearing date March 25, 2012) from Jersey Hollow Farm (Kutztown, PA) after an independent lab confirmed the presence of Salmonella in products from the dairy, according to a report on Food Safety News. No illness have been linked to this recall.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Prospect Enterprises, Inc. (Los Angeles, CA) that a January/February 2012 inspection of the company’s seafood processing facility, American Fish & Seafood Company (Sacramento, CA) revealed serious violations of the seafood Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) regulation, and the Current Good Manufacturing Practice regulation for foods.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Plenus Group Inc. (Lowell, MA) that a February/March 2012 inspection of the company’s seafood processing facility revealed serious violations of the seafood Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) regulation, and the Current Good Manufacturing Practice regulation for foods.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Meherrin Agricultural & Chemical Co. (Severn, NC) that a November/December 2011 inspection of the company’s peanut butter processing plant (Hampton Farms Industrial Plant, Severn, NC) revealed serious violations of the Current Good Manufacturing Practice (CGMP) regulation for foods.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Protica, Inc. (Whitehall, PA) that a September/October 2011 inspection of the company’s facility revealed significant violations from the requirements of the Acidified Foods Current Good Manufacturing Practice regulations.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Distribucion Y Representaciones Comerciales S.A. (Santiago, Chile) that a November 2011 inspection of the company’s juice processing facility revealed serious violations of the juice Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) regulation, Title 21, Code of Federal Regulations, Part 120, and the Current Good Manufacturing Practice (CGMP) regulation for foods.
- Outbreak Alert: According to Mary Rothschild of Food Safety News, FDA and CDC are investigating a multi-state outbreak of Salmonella Bareilly poisoning that may be associated with the consumption of sushi. Ninety people have been sickened in 19 states and the District of Columbia as of yesterday.
- Allergy Alert: Whole Foods Market Canada, Inc. recalls Foodmatch Divina Cornichons (various weights; All sell-by dates up to and including 2012.04.27; UPC begins with 0 235048), due to the presence of undeclared sulphites. The recalled product was distributed in Ontario and British Columbia.
- Allergy Alert: Les Aliments Johnvince Foods recalls Les Aliments Johnvince Julienne Soup Mix (750g; Lot 1 694 1; UPC 0 55144 43404 4) and Stock & Barrel Julienne Soup Mix (750g; Lot 1 709 1; UPC 0 64777 38133 5), due to the presence of undeclared egg. The recalled products were distributed in Ontario and Quebec.
- Allergy Alert Update: Bramic Sales updates its earlier recall of Koh-Kae Coated Peanuts (various flavors; CFIA Recall Reference Numbers 7047 and 7051) to include all lot/date codes, because the products may contain undeclared milk.
- Food Recall: Bramic Sales recalls Koh-Kae Peanuts Coffee Flavour Coated (265g; All lot codes; UPC 8 852023 664255), due to the presence of chemical additives. The recalled product was distributed in Manitoba, Nova Scotia, Ontario and Quebec.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): WP Meat A/S recalls Beef Hamburger, Minced Beef, Minced Pork, and Minced Pork and Veal (various fat content; various sizes; Best before 1/4, 2/4 and 4/4-2012), after a routine sample of the meat tested positive for Salmonella.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Food Safety Enforcement Action (PRC): Police in China have arrested more than 100 suspects in a crackdown on the production of a new type of “gutter oil,” derived from waste fat of rotten meat and animal viscera obtained from slaughter houses.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.