Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Allergy Alert: Topnotch Cookies & Cakes (Westland, MI) recalls 550 Chocolate Chip Chunk Cookies (3.4 oz, individually wrapped; Expiration on or before April 13, 2012), due to the presence of possible traces of milk. The recalled cookies were distributed to retail stores in Detroit (MI), Lansing (MI), Cleveland (OH), and Chicago (IL).
- Food Safety Recall: Castellini Company LLC recalls Jalapeno Peppers distributed from its Wilder, Kentucky facility (full case, 1/2 case, 20-lb, 10-lb, 5-lb, 2-lb and 1-lb package sizes; Distributed during March 8th through 20th, 2012), after the Ohio Department of Agriculture found Salmonella in a Jalapeno pepper sample taken at random from an Ohio store. The recalled Jalapenos were distributed to military commissaries, retailers (Including Walmart stores) and foodservice distributors in Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, and West Virginia.
- Food Safety Recall: South Florida Produce, LLC recalls Jalapeno Peppers (bulk 1 1/9-bushel cartons; Lot #J000010995, J000010996, J000010997, J000010998, J000010999, J000011000, J000020135, J000020136, J000020137, J000020138, J000020139 and J000030053), because the product may be contaminated with Salmonella. The recalled peppers were supplied to distributors in Oxford (NC), Lake Worth (FL), Washington (DC), Pompano Beach (FL), Fairlawn (NJ), and Toronto (Canada) between March 5th through March 7th, 2012.
- Food Safety Recall: Mosul Kubba (Chicago, IL) recalls Kubba of Wheat (2-lb vacuum-packed packages containing 2 x 10-inch pieces, and 20-lb cases, each containing 10 x 2-lb packages; Case code 12-82; Est 21576; Produced March 20, 2012), due to possible contamination with Listeria monocytogenes. The recalled product was shipped to a single distributor in Detroit, Michigan.
- Pet Food Safety Recall: Hartz Mountain Corporation (Secaucus, NJ) recalls Wardley® Advanced Nutrition™ Perfect Protein™ Tropical Flake Fish Food (1-oz size; Lot codes PP34911, PP34912, PP35011 and PP35012), manufactured at the company’s Pleasant Plain, Ohio facility, after random sampling revealed the presence of Salmonella contamination in each of the four lots.
- Food Safety Recall: Crown Wholesale (Paramount, CA) recalls Vagabundo Paletas Candy (453g package; Imported from Mexico; All date codes), due to unacceptable levels of lead. The recalled product was sold in nine retail locations in Southern California.
- Food Safety Recall: Wegmans recalls various Wegmans Pita Breads and Thin Sandwich Rolls (Purchased on Wednesday, March 28th only), because they may contain a foreign object from a damaged conveyor belt.
- Food Safety Alert: California has lifted its quarantine of Claravale Farm raw milk products after determining that the dairy has met state sanitation requirements and food safety regulations. The quarantine order had been issued after Campylobacter bacteria were detected in raw cream.
- Allergy Alert: TWI Foods Inc. (Mississauga, ON) recalls Pistachio Cookies (400g; UPC 6 27265 00601 3), due to the presence of undeclared almonds and milk, and recalls Almond Cookies (400g; UPC 6 27265 00120 9), Coconut Cookies (400g; UPC 6 27265 00121 6) and Almond Cake Rusk (750g; UPC 6 27265 00217 6), due to the presence of undeclared milk. The recalled products were distributed nationally.
- Allergy Alert: Bramic Sales recalls Koh-Kae brand Peanuts, Chicken Flavour Coated (240g; All codes; UPC 8 852023 665399), Peanuts BBQ Flavour Coated (240g; Code 5510 BM 59/09; UPC 8 852023 665511) and Peanuts Coconut Cream Flavour Coated (265g; Code 5512 BM 48/11; UPC 8 852023 664248), due to the presence of undeclared milk. The recalled products were distributed in New Brunswick, Ontario, and Quebec.
- Allergy Alert: Boulangerie Boutin (Saint-Fabien-de-Panet, QC) recalls several bakery products due to the presence of undeclared milk, egg, soy, and/or sulfites.
- Food Safety Recall: Veg-Pak Produce Ltd. (Toronto, ON) recalls Jalapeno Peppers (1 bushel boxes bearing the South Florida Produce logo or 1/2 bushel boxes bearing JALAPENO PEPPERS, PRODUCT OF USA and Veg-Pak’s name and address; Product of USA; sold by Veg-Pak Produce at the Ontario Food Terminal from March 8th to 15th inclusive), because the peppers may be contaminated with Salmonella. The recalled peppers were known to have been sold between March 8th and March 28th in bulk from Ontario stores, including: Food Basics, Ho Long Supermarket, Kitchen Table Grocery Stores, Longo’s, Metro, Michael Angelo’s, Oak Ridges Food Market, Oceans Fresh Food Market, Oriental Food Market, P.A.T. Mart, Starwind Supermarket, and Trinity Supermarket.
- Food Safety Recall: Lordford Inc. recalls Koh-Kae Peanuts Coconut Cream Flavour Coated (255g; All codes) and Koh-Kae Peanuts Nori Wasabi Coated (240g; All codes) due to the presence of a chemical additive. The recalled products were distributed in Quebec.
- Allergy Alert (UK): Musgrave Retail Partners GB withdraws Supervalu Italian Bolognese Ravioli (250g; All date codes), because of inconsistent allergen labeling; specifically, the product contains undeclared celery.
- Allergy Alert (Ireland): Musgrave Retail Partners withdraws Supervalu Italian Bolognese Ravioli (250g; All date codes; Product code 398515) and Centra Italian Bolognese Ravioli (250g; All date codes; Product code 719676), due to celery not having been declared in the allergen warning/advice panel of the labels.
- Food Safety Recall (Finland): Dutch Heuschen & Schrouff, Oriental Foods Trading recalls Six Fortune Tofu & Chili (300g; Product of Taiwan; All codes) and Six Fortune Preserved Tofu (370g; Product of Taiwan; All codes) due to contamination with Bacillus cereus. Consumers are strongly advised not to eat these tofu products.
Australia and New Zealand
- Food Safety Recall (Australia): Simplot Australia recalls John West Tuna Tempters Sweet Seeded Mustard Flavour (95g tinned product with ring pull lid; Batch 4ER12; Product of Thailand), due to the presence of glass fragments. The recalled product was sold nationally in Coles, Woolworths, IGA and other independent supermarkets.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.