Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Food Safety Recall: Lowes foods advises its customers that Bailey Farms, Inc. (Oxford, NC) has recalled Loose Jalapeno Peppers (12 lb Fresh Jalapeno Hot Peppers) due to possible Salmonella contamination.
- FDA Enforcement Action: FDA seeks permanent injunction against Fujino Enterprises, Inc., dba Blue Ocean Smokehouse (Half Moon Bay, CA) and against Blue Ocean’s president Erika Fujino, on the basis the company’s fish and fish products are adulterated, because they are processed under conditions that do not comply with FDA’s HACCP regulations and that failed to conform to the Current Good Manufacturing Practice requirements for food established to ensure that food is processed in a safe and sanitary manner. According to FDA, the company has ignored warnings from both FDA and the California Department of Public Health.
- Allergy Alert Update: Euro Mediterranean Foods recalls Euro Mediterranean Foods Smoked Salmon Spread (227g; All codes; UPC 8 75977 20016 2), due to the presence of undeclared egg. The recalled product was distributed in New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador, Nova Scotia, Ontario, Prince Edward Island, and Quebec.
- Allergy Alert: Les Marchés Tau (Montreal, QC) recalls Brisures de caroube non-sucrées/Unsweetened carob chips, because the product contains undeclared milk and may also contain traces of wheat. The recalled product was sold on dates up to and including March 26, 2012.
- Food Safety Recall: Transhing Investment Inc. (QC) recalls Koh-Kae Peanuts BBQ Flavour Coated (230g; all codes; UPC 8 852023 665511) and Koh-Kae Peanuts Coffee Flavour Coated (255g; All codes; UPC 8 852023 664255), due to the presence of a chemical additive. The recalled products were distributed in Ontario and Quebec.
- Food Safety Recall: Commerce Caneast Inc. recalls Koh-Kae Peanuts BBQ Flavour Coated (230g; all codes; UPC 8 852023 665511) and Koh-Kae Peanuts Coconut Cream Flavour Coated (255g; All codes; UPC 8 852023 664248), due to the presence of a chemical additive. The recalled products were distributed in Quebec.
- Allergy Alert (UK): Sainsbury’s Supermarkets Ltd. recalls Sainsbury’s Indian 4 Vegetable Samosas (200g; Use by 30 March 2012), due to the presence of undeclared milk. This is the result of a packaging error in which the packs may contain chicken samosas instead of vegetable samosas.
- Food Safety Alert (UK): The Food Standards Agency (FSA) is advising companies and individuals who have bought chemicals used for food production from a company called Mistral Laboratory Chemicals not to use them. Italian authorities are investigating the circumstances of the recent death of a woman at a private medical clinic in Italy. Products for food use supplied by Mistral have been implicated in that investigation. The company has voluntarily ceased distribution of its food grade products.
- Food Safety Recall (Greece): Lidl Hellas A.E. recalls Cottage brand Thyme Salami (500g; Lot No. 564780; Best by 05/04/2012; Product of Germany), due to the presence of a foreign body (small pieces of bone).
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0468 & 0470): Absence of health mark on egg powder from Poland; distributed to Lithuania.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0469): Methomyl in pepper from Turkey; distributed to Slovakia.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0471): Aflatoxins in organic figs from Turkey, via Germany; distributed to Austria and Germany.
- Dietary Supplement Safety Notification (EU #2012.0472): Unauthorized marketing of food supplement from Spain; distributed to Spain and Portugal.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Food Safety Withdrawal (Abu Dhabi): The Abu Dhabi Food Control Authority has initiated the withdrawan of Masafi Water (500ml bottles; Manufacturing date 17.2.2012; Expiry date 16.2.2013), due to the presence of bromide in excess of permitted levels.
Australia and New Zealand
- Food Safety Recall (Australia): Fantastic Snacks recalls Fantastic 2 Minute Noodles Chicken Flavoured 12 Pack and Fantastic 2 Minute Noodles Beef Flavoured 12 Pack (1.02kg net (12 x 85g); All best before dates), following consumer complaints of unpleasant odour and stale taste. The recalled products were sold at Coles, IGA and other independent retail outlets across Australia.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.