Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Allergy Alert: J Bar B Foods of Texas / Armour-Eckrich Meats LLC recalls Eckrich Smoked Sausage Hog Casing Bulk Pack Rope (one 11-lb package/case; Use by date of March 26 2012 or later), due to the presence of undeclared milk. The product was distributed to the Southwest USA, including to a small number of US Foods Inc. customers.
- Food Safety Recall: Club Chef LLC recalls Private Selection Pico de Gallo (12 oz; Use by 3/27/2012; UPC 11111091135) Private Selection Hot Salsa (12 oz; Use by 3/27/201; UPC 1111091139) Private Selection Mild Salsa (12 oz; Use by 3/27/2012; UPC 1111091137), heinen’s Hot Salsa (16 oz; Use by 3/27/2012; UPC 2060100024) and heinen’s Mild Salsa (16 oz; Use by 3/27/2012; UPC 2060100026), because the jalapeno peppers used in these products may be contaminated with Salmonella. The recalled products were distributed to retailers and foodservice distributors on 3/14/12 and 3/15/12 in Ohio, Kentucky, West Virginia, Arkansas, Mississippi, Missouri, Tennessee, Virginia, North Carolina, Indiana, and Illinois.
- Outbreak Alert (Alabama): Customers of McDonald’s, located at 2000 McFarland Blvd, Northport may have been exposed to hepatitis A virus through an infected employee, according to the Alabama Department of Public Health. Anyone who visited this location on March 14, 2012, or during breakfast hours on March 16, 2012 should contact his or her health care provider. Customers visiting this McDonald’s location between Feb 28th and March 14th may have become exposed to hepatitis A virus.
- Food Recall (Belgium): TADAL recalls Sultan brand Riz Basmati/ Basmati Rice (1 kg; Expiration date 06/10/2013), because the product contains unauthorized genetically modified organisms.
- Food Safety Recall (Germany): Heuschen & Schrouff OFT B.V. recalls Tofu mit Chilli eingelegt Tahoe met Chili/Tofu marinated with chili (300g jar; Product of Taiwan; Use by 30/11/2013), due to contamination with Bacillus cereus.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0459): Bacillus cereus in Heuschen & Schrouff brand chilli marinated tofu in glass jars from Taiwan, via the Netherlands; distributed to Austria, Belgium, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Luxembourg, Poland, Seychelles, Sweden, Switzerland and the United Kingdom.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0460): Benzo(a)pyrene in olive oil from Italy; distributed to Slovakia.
- Animal Feed Safety Notification (EU #2012.0461): Salmonella Mbandaka in organic soy press cake from Germany; distributed to Sweden.
- Animal Feed Safety Notification (EU #2012.0462): Salmonella and Salmonella typhimurium in meat meal from Spain; distributed to Spain.
- Pet Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0463): Melamine in compound feed for dogs from Germany; dstriibuted to Finland.
- Pet Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0464): Melamine in compound feed for dogs from the Netherlands; distributed to Finland.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0465): Risk of physical injury due to explosion of overpressurized bottles containing light syrup from Austria infested with yeast; distributed to Austria and Hungary.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0466): Zearalenone in popcorn maize from France; distributed to Germany.
- Animal Feed Safety Notification (EU #2012.0467): Dioxins in fishmeal from Germany; distributed to Denmark and Germany.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Proprietary Chinese Medicine Safety Recall (Hong Kong): Wong’s Young Son Pharmaceuticals Limited recalls Flu Fighter, because it was found to have been improperly labeled.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0459): Bacillus cereus in Heuschen & Schrouff brand chilli marinated tofu in glass jars from Taiwan, via the Netherlands; distributed to Austria, Belgium, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Luxembourg, Poland, Seychelles, Sweden, Switzerland and the United Kingdom
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.