Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Allergy Alert: Whole Foods Market (Austin, TX) recalls Mini Chocolate Chip Cookies (UPC 2-21485-20399-5; Sell-by dates of March 8, 2012 through March 28, 2012), because the product contains undeclared walnuts. The recalled cookies were sold at Whole Foods Market stores in Arkansas, Louisiana, Oklahoma and Texas.
- Food Safety Recall Update: USDA releases retail distribution list for ready-to-eat beef sausage products recalled by Southside Market & BBQ due to contamination with Listeria monocytogenes.
- Food Safety Recall/Quarantine Order: The California Department of Food and Agriculture has announced a statewide recall and quarantine order for raw milk products from Claravale Farm (San Benito County, CA), after the agency confirmed the detection of Campylobacter in raw cream from the farm. While no illnesses have been definitively linked to the Claravale Farm products, an epidemiological investigation into clusters of Campylobacter illness is in progress.
- Public Health Alert (Ohio): The Ohio Department of Agriculture issues a public health alert for various meat and poultry products produced by Olde Strasburg Meats that were misbranded and produced without the benefit of inspection. The list of products includes: Pulled BBQ pork, Pulled BBQ beef, Pulled BBQ chicken, Beef jerky, Chip chop ham, and Ground beef (1-lb chubs sold through Valley FArm Meats retail store). The products are believed to have been produced and shipped between August 2011 and February 9, 2012.
- OTC Pharmaceutical Product Safety Recall: Guardian Drug Company (Dayton, NJ) recalls Infants Gas Relief Drops, including PediaCare, Sun Mark and Good Neighbor Pharmacy brands (Lot Nos. 521-1849, 521-2048, 521-2512, 521-2517, 521-1642, 521-1870, 521-2057, 521-2857, and 521-3108), Maximum Strength Alumox Cherry Liquid (Product code 508), Extra Strength Megacid Original Liquid (Product code 516) and Non-staining Infant’s Gas Relief Drops (Product code 520), because the raw material simethicone emulsion lots that were used in the manufacture of these products were recalled by the supplier for possible contamination with Burkholderia cepacia.
- OTC Pharmaceutical Product Safety Recall: Food City advises its customers that the following PediaCare items have been recalled by the manufacturer (Guardian Drug Company, see above): Pediacare Infant Drops Cherry, 1 oz; Pediacare Concentrated Fever Reducing Infant Cherry, 0.5 oz; Pediacare Infant Drops Grape, 1 oz; and Pediacare Concentrated Fever Reducing Infant Grape, 0.5 oz.
- Food Safety Recall and Allergy Alert (Finland): Kookosravinto ME Ay recalls VitaHamppu Bread Flour (Best before 06/30/2012) and VitaMantell Flour (Best before 15/05/2012), due to Salmonella contamination (VitaHamppu Bread Flour) and the presence of undeclared soy (both products).
- Food Safety Recall (Ireland): Rockabill Shellfish Ltd. recalls Frozen Swordfish Steaks (Product of Portugal; Sold loose between 03.11.2011 and 17.12.2011), due to elevated levels of mercury contamination. The recalled product was supplied to Taste of the Sea, Glasnevin, Dublin 9.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0440): Incorrect labeling on chilled honey and mustard ham from the United Kingdom; distributed to Gibraltar and the United Kingdom.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0441): Histamine in canned frozen tuna in oil from Spain; distributed to Italy.
Australia and New Zealand
- Allergy Alert: Woolworths Ltd. recalls Duncan Hines Moist Deluxe Devil’s Food Cupcakes Mix and Duncan Hines Moist Deluxe Confetti Cupcakes Mix (255g red cardboard box; All best before dates; Product of USA), due to the presence of undeclared milk and traces of tree nuts. The recalled mixes were sold in Woolworths/Safeway/Food For Less/Flemings Supermarkets nationally.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.