Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Food Safety Alert: Washington State Department of Agriculture (WSDA) recommends that the public not eat eggs from Daizen Farms (Burlington, WA), due to insanitary processing conditions and a high risk of Salmonella infection in the laying hens. This warning results from an FDA inspection of the company’s operations. WSDA reports that the eggs were produced by hens that ate feed contaminated with rodent droppings. The feed has been confirmed by lab analysis to contain Salmonella. In addition, the eggs were packaged under insanitary conditions on the farm (rodent droppings observed on an egg-washing machine). Please check the distribution list provided on the WSDA web site for a list of restaurants, grocery stores and distributors who were supplied with eggs from Daizen Farms.
- Food Recall: Ingles Markets Inc. recalls Sioux City Sarsaparilla (Item #909955; Lot codes BB081013 and BB092213), because there may be a rusting issue under the caps.
- OTC Pharmaceutical Product Recall Update: Lowes foods reports that the manufacturer has recalled Pepto Cherry Liquid (12 oz; UPC 3-01490-32047; Lot code 2018171961), because water used to rinse a product contact surface did not meet the specifications for the manufacturer’s purified water system.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Fog River, LLC (Salt Lake City, UT) that a December 2011 inspection of the company’s seafood processing facility revealed serious violations of the seafood Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) regulation and the Current Good Manufacturing Practice regulation for foods.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Zhong Shun Inc. (City of Industry, CA) that a December 2011 inspection of the company’s seafood importer establishment uncovered serious violations of the seafood Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) regulation.
- Allergy Alert: The Canadian Food Inspection Agency warns consumers with allergies to egg not to consume BioX brand Xtreme Powder Whey Isolate Powder (908g; UPC 8 13535 00103 5; Lot code 11104 103 15 NOV; Best before NOV 2013) and BioX brand Protein Shot Recovery Blue Raspberry Drink (473 mL; UPC 8 13535 00116 5; Lot code 100311 03OCT; Best before OCT 2012), because the products may contain undeclared egg. The affected products are known to have been distributed in British Columbia, Alberta, Ontario, Quebec and Nova Scotia, and may have been distributed nationally.
- Food Safety Recall/Health Hazard Alert Update: The Canadian Food Inspection Agency has released a list of more than 135 ground beef product brand names and codes that may be contaminated with E. coli O157:H7. The implicated products were manufactured at Establishment 761, owned and operated by New Food Classics. The products were manufactured between July 1, 2011 and February 15, 2012 and distributed nationally to retail stores, restaurants and institutional establishments. Affected products may bear one of the following codes: (a) Best Before date from BB 2012 JA 01 up to and including BB 2013 FE 15; (b) Production code with the format of 11 JL 01 up to and including 12 FE 15; or (c) 5-digit lot code where the last four digits are 1831 or greater.
- Food Safety Recall (UK): Wm Morrison Supermarkets plc recalls Morrisons Cooked Turkey Breast (160g; Use by 27 April 2012), due to an error in the date code labeling. The product packages should have been labeled with a “use by” date of 27 March 2012.
- Food Safety Recall (Ireland): Millstream Ltd. recalls Millstream Oak Smoked Salmon (100g, 200g and sides; Batch 44318/Best before 02.04.2012, and Batch 44203/Best before 13.03.2012), because the product may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes. The recalled product was distributed to a small number of restaurants and a retailer in the Dublin and Wicklow region.
- Food Safety Recall (Germany): Inzersdorfer recalls Rinds-Gulasch/Beef Goulash (400g can; Product of Austria; Lot #L1515; Best by 2015), because a small part of the batch was not adequately heated during processing.
- Food Withdrawal (Greece): Milupa (Numil Hellas) recalls Aptamil 2 Baby Formula (Expiry date 24.01.2014), due to incorrect labeling. The package label states incorrectly that the formula is for babies “from 0-6 months”, instead of “by 6 months.”
- Cosmetics Product Safety Recall (Spain): Henkel Iberica, S.A. recalls all production lots of Blondme Crystal Transparent Gel Bleach System Developer 6%/20 vol, Blondme Crystal Transparent Gel Bleach System Developer 9%/30 vol, and Blondme Crystal Transparent Gel Bleach System Dust, due to a quality defect.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.