Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Allergy Alert Update: USDA releases retail distribution list for 7-Eleven Fresh to Go Grilled Chicken Caesar Wrap products that were recalled by LSG Sky Chefs (San Jose, CA) due to the presence of undeclared egg.
- Food Safety Recall: El Ranchero Del Sur, LLC (South River, NJ) recalls El Ranchero Queso Fresco/Fresh Cheese (14 oz; UPC 88052230013), Los Corrales Queso Fresco en Hoja De Platano/ Fresh Cheese in Banana Leaf (14 oz; UPC 880522300037), and El Ranchero Queso Oaxaca/String Cheese (14 oz. and 10 lb; UPC 880522300068 and 88522300051, respectively), after a sample of Los Corrales Queso Fresco en Hoja De Plantano was found by the New Jersey Department of Health and Senior Services to be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes. The recalled products were distributed from 2/23/12 through 3/14/12 through direct deliver to retail stores, supermarkets and restaurants in New Jersey and Pennsylvania. El Ranchero Del Sur has halted production and distribution of its products so that the company and FDA can continue their investigation into the source of the contamination.
- Food Safety Recall: Lawson Foods LLC (Irvington, NJ) recalls Pork Shoulder Butts (various weight cases; Case code 30312; Est 34227), because it includes pork product imported from Canada that was not properly presented for re-inspection upon entry into the USA. The recalled product was produced on March 3, 2012 and was distributed to one wholesale firm in New Jersey.
- OTC Pharmaceutical Product Safety Recall: Pfizer Consumer Healthcare recalls Advil Pain Reliever Ibuprofen Adult Bonus Pack (60 count; UPC 30573016931) and Advil Pain Reliever Ibuprofen Adult (40 count; UPC 30573016930), after marketed lots presented a more intense odor. This recall information is courtesy of Giant Food Stores.
- Allergy Alert: Bramic Sales recalls Koh-Kae Nori Wasabi Coated Peanuts (240g; Code 5512 BM 48/11; UPC 8 852023 664101) and Koh-Kae Shrimp Flavour Coated Peanuts (240g; all codes; UPC 8 852023 665481) due to the presence of undeclared milk. The recalled products were distributed in Ontario.
- Allergy Alert: Transhing Investment Inc. (QC) recalls Koh-Kae Peanuts Nori Wasabi Coated (240g; All codes; UPC 8 852023 664101), Koh-Kae Peanuts Coconut Cream Flavour Coated (255g; All codes; UPC 8 852023 664248) and Koh-Kae Peanuts Shrimp Flavour Coated (230g; All codes; UPC 8 852023 665481), due to the presence of undeclared milk. The recalled products were distributed in New Brunswick, Ontario and Quebec.
- Food Safety Recall: La Fine Tulipe (Saint-Roch-de-L’Achigan) recalls Mini-Cornichons d’Asclépiade/Asclépiade Mini-Pickles (110ml size) and Têtes de Violon Marinés/Marinated Fiddleheads (190ml size), because the items were not produced in a manner that would ensure their microbiological safety.
- Pharmaceutical Product Safety Recall: Apotex Incorporated recalls Apo-Ramipril 5mg Capsules (Lot JR2178; DIN 02251574), after medication in the affected lot was found to contain intact but empty capsules. The recalled product was supplied to retail outlets across Canada. Apo-Ramipril is a prescription medication used to treat hypertension.
- Outbreak Alert Update (Ontario): Ottawa Public Health has now confirmed 37 cases of salmonellosis, including 33 involving children of between 15 months and 18 years of age. One daycare facility (Tiny Hoppers Daycare, 50 Colchester, Kanata) and seven schools have been affected by this outbreak.
- Outbreak Alert Update (UK): Friarswood Primary School (Newcastle-under-Lyme), which was closed after an outbreak of 18 confirmed cases of E. coli O157, is expected to remain closed until after Easter, according to a BBC report.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0416): Dioxins and dioxin-like PCBs in lamb liver from the United Kingdom; distributed to Germany.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Cosmetic Product Safety Alert (Hong Kong): The Department of Health advises the public not to buy or use Super 9.9.9 Natural Vit. E, C cosmetic product, as it may contain excessive mercury that is dangerous to health.
- Food Safety Advisory (PRC): Huaying Agricultural, a leading Chinese poultry company, has fired four employees suspected of being involved in activities that resulted in diseased ducks being sold to unsuspecting consumers, according to Channel News Asia. The ducks allegedly were sold to businessman Cui Jinping, who processed them in a “black” factory for resale as meat. Mr. Cui is facing criminal prosecution.
Australia and New Zealand
- Unregistered Cancer Treatment Product Safety Alert (Australia): The Therapeutic Goods Administration advises consumers not to purchase or use Black Salve or Red Salve, which are unproved products that claim to cure or treat cancer, including certain types of skin cancer.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.