Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Food Safety Alert/Outbreak Alert (New Jersey): The New Jersey Department of Health and Senior Services has issued a public warning after a pregnant woman was diagnosed with Listeria monocytogenes and analysis confirmed the presence of L. monocytogenes in a sample of Los Corrales Queso Fresco Fresh Cheese and Banana Leaf (14 oz; Manufactured by El Ranchero del Sur, LLC (South River, NJ); Plant number 34-0013669; Code date 03/16/12). The company has closed pending federal and state investigation of the facilities, and has agreed to recall all of its cheese products. Affected products include cheeses sold under the brand names El Rancero, Los Corrales, and Carnes Don Beto. They are sold mainly in Mexican and Latin American grocery stores, restaurants and other hispanic food establishments.
- Outbreak Alert: Forty students and ten chaperones from a Kansas high school were treated for food poisoning at Excela Frick Hospital in Mount Pleasant, PA on their way back from a band trip to new York.
- Allergy Alert: PK Trading Inc. (Mississauga, ON) recalls Frito Lay brand Cheetos BBQ Flavor (88g; Red bag; UPC 8 801062 289936; Product of Korea) and Frito Lay brand Cheetos Hot Flavor (88g; Black bag; UPC 8 801062 380015; Product of Korea), due to the presence of undeclared milk and soy, respectively. The recalled products were distributed in Ontario and Manitoba.
- Allergy Alert: Canadian T & J International Development Inc. (Richmond, BC) recalls Natural World brand Dried Fungus products (80g and 200g; UPC 6 948691 100064 and 6 948691 100071, respectively), due to the presence of undeclared sulphites. The recalled products were distributed in British Columbia.
- Allergy Alert: Quality Natural Foods Ltd. recalls Haldiram’s Indian Snacks All In One (150g and 350g sizes; All packages), due to the presence of undeclared sesame seeds. The recalled products were distributed nationally.
- Food Safety Recall/Outbreak Alert: New Food Classics expands its earlier series of recalls to include Best Value 10 Beef Burgers (1kg; UPC 0 71212 88103 8; Lot codes 72991 EST 761, and 82991 Est 761) and Best Value 20 Beef Burgers (2kg; UPC 0 71212 88104 5; Lot codes 53011 EST 761, 63011 EST 761, 73011 EST 761, and 83011 EST 761), because the products may be contaminated with E. coli O157:H7. The recalled products were distributed to Giant Tiger and Northern Canada retail stores in British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec, Newfoundland and Labrador, Northwest Territories and Nunavut. One reported illness has been associated with consumption of these products.
- Allergy Alert (Ireland): The Food Safety Authority of Ireland advises the public that Marshmallow Arsenal Pitche Moloko Vanilla (600g pkg; Product of Poland; Best before 03.05.2012) contains peanuts that were not declared on the label.
- Food Safety Recall (Germany): Heuschen & Schrouff OFT BV recall Tofu mit Chili eingelegt/Tofu in chili marinade (300g pkg; Best before 30/06/2013), due to elevated levels of Bacillus cereus contamination.
- OTC Pharmaceutical Product Safety Recall (France): Laboratoire Bayer Santé Familiale recalls Ultraproct and Deliproct rectal ointments (10g tubes; Ultraproct Lot Nos. 02093B, 04102A and 13114B; Deliproct Lot Nos. 02109B, 03134C, 12167B, 13174B and 14184C), due to an increase in the concentration of a breakdown product of cinchocaine chlorhydrate.
- Outbreak Alert (UK): Twenty-two guests and staff members at the Scarisbrick Hotel (Southport) were stricken with gastrointestinal symptoms that are believed to be due to a norovirus infection.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Outbreak Alert (Saudi Arabia): Thirteen students were treated at Scion General Hospital for symptoms of food poisoning after sharing a breakfast supplied by a physical education teacher in celebration of their victory in a sport tournament.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.