Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- OTC Pharmaceutical Product Withdrawal: Giant® Food Stores advises its customers that the manufacturer has withdrawn Pepto Bismol Cherry (12 0L; UPC 30149032047) due to a deviation from the manufacturer’s specifications.
- Allergy Alert: Raw Elements Inc. recalls Sunwarrior Warrior Blend Raw Protein Plant – Based (1kg; Lot AC25111; Enjoyed Best by 03/2013; UPC 7 18122 58829 9), due to the presence of undeclared tree nuts. The recalled product was distributed in Alberta, British Columbia, Ontario and Quebec.
- Allergy Alert: Perestroika Products Ltd. (Burnaby, BC) recalls Red Square brand Powerflax Energy Cookies – High Fiber (650g/8-bar pkg; UPC 7 75461 76107 3; Lot code 35220.11), due to the presence of undeclared milk. The recalled product was distributed through London Drugs stores in Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba and Saskatchewan.
- Food Safety Recall: G. Dion Foods (Saint-Jerome, QC) recalls Dion brand Organic Curry Powder (36g; UPC 6 20383 02007 7; Lot code 01B12G & 12A05G), because the product may be contaminated with Salmonella. The recalled curry powder was distributed in Ontario and Quebec. This is an expansion of a previously announced recall.
- Outbreak Alert (Ontario): CBC News reports that Ottawa Public Health is investigating an outbreak of Salmonella food poisoning that is believed to be linked to a catering service named “The Lunch Lady.” Sixteen children and four adults are confirmed to have been infected so far; the number is expected to grow.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): Snack Food ApS recalls various Snack Foods, Best (Super Best), First Price, REMA 1000, and Buffe brands of peanuts, because a piece of jaw bone from a South American armadillo was found in a bag of peanuts labeled “First Price” with expiry date 20/11-2012. Please refer to the recall notice for a complete list of affected products.
- Pharmaceutical Product Safety Recall (Spain): Laboratorios Farmacéuticose Rovi, S.A. recalls Biolid 3.5g powder for oral suspension (Lot #D007, expiring April 2013; Lot #D010, expiring November 2013), because of an out-of-specification test result.
- Allergy Alert Notification (EU #2012.0385): Undeclared egg in frozen pre-fried breaded fish portions from the Netherlands; distributed to Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0386): Bacillus cereus in tofu in chili marinade from Taiwan, via the Netherlands; distributed to Germany.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0389): Foreign body (bone fragment) in blanched peanuts from Argentina; distributed to Denmark and Sweden.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0390): Arsenic in mineral water from Italy; distributed to Italy and Portugal.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0391): Histamine in cheddar cheese from the Netherlands; distributed to the United Kingdom.
Australia and New Zealand
- Allergy Alert (New Zealand): Hellers Limited recalls certain Hellers Precooked Flavoured Sausages (1kg packs; All use by dates up to and including 18 April 2012), due to the presence of traces of gluten. The recalled sausages include Chinese Honey, Spicy Italian, Super Savoury, Chunky Cheese, and Original Gluten-Free flavours and were sold in retail outlets throughout the North Island.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.