Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Food Recall Update: Price Chopper rescinds its earlier recall of all varieties of Home Style Gravy. Price Chopper recalls Price Chopper Home Style Beef Gravy (12 oz; UPC 41735-16509), because the product did not meet quality standards. All other varieties of Home Style Gravy are unaffected.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Staples, Incorporated (Framingham, MA) that an October/November 2011 inspection of the company’s Stockton, California facility documented serious violations of the Current Good Manufacturing Practice (CGMP) regulation for foods.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Fong Kee Tofu Company, Inc. (San Francisco, CA) that a December 2011 inspection of the company’s food manufacturing facility documented serious violations of the Current Good Manufacturing Practice (CGMP) regulation for foods.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Modern Products, Inc. (Mequon, WI) that an August/September 2011 inspection of the company’s facility revealed a failure to comply with the Current Good Manufacturing Practice (CGMP) regulations for dietary supplements.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Creekside Springs, LLC (Salineville, OH) that a June/July 2011 inspection of the company’s bottled water processing facility determined that the company is processing bottled water which you label as spring, drinking, and distilled water in violation of the Processing and Bottling of Bottled Drinking Water Regulation.
- Food Safety Recall Update: New Food Classics expands its earlier recalls of beef products to include no name 12 Beef Burgers (1.36 kg; UPC 0 60383 37333 7; Lot Code of BB 2012 AL 22 EST 761) and no name Club Pack Beef Steakettes (2.27 kg; UPC 0 60383 01321 9; Lot Code of BB 2012 AL 22 EST 761), because the products may be contaminated with E. coli O157:H7. The recalled products were distributed nationally by Loblaws. There has been one reported illness associated with the consumption of the New Food Classics products.
- OTC Pharmaceutical Product Safety Recall (Spain): Lapis Lazuli España Optical Services S.L. recalls Eye See All In One Solution + Hyaluronate contact lens solution (Manufactured by Lapis Lazuli International NV; Lot 109077), due to reports of problems with irritation, red eye, and conjunctivitis.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0379): Excess amount of Ponceau 4R/cochineal red A in sugared almonds from Belgium; distributed to Belgium and the Netherlands.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0380): Methomyl in strawberries from Egypt; distributed to the Netherlands.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0382): Deoxynivalenol in oats from Sweden; distributed to Denmark.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0384): Parasitic infestation with Anisakis of chilled monkfish from France; distributed to Italy.
Australia and New Zealand
- Allergy Alert (Australia): Pacific Organics recalls GF Harvest Old Fashioned Rolled Oats, Gluten-Free (1.16 kg packet; Best before AUG 2012; Product of USA), due to non-compliant labelling. The recalled product was distributed in health food shops and bakeries in New South Wales.
- Food Safety Recall (New Zealand): Goodman Fielder New Zealand Ltd. recalls Deli Kitchen Sandwiches Gourmet Farmhouse Flavour (167g pre-packaged sandwiches; Best before 13/03/12 and 15/03/12), because one of the sandwich ingredients may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes. The recalled sandwiches were sold in service stations and some corner stores and mini-marts throughout the North Island.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.