Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Food Safety Recall: Price Chopper recalls Price Chopper Home Style Gravy (12 oz.; All varieties; UPC 41735-16508, 41735-16509, 41735-16511, 41735-16507, and 41735-16510), due to the presence of unidentified material in the jars.
- Food Quality Recall: Bi-Lo recalls Southern Home Vegetable Juice (46-oz PET; UPC 6 07880 01793; all lot codes) and Southern Home Tomato Juice (46-oz PET; UPC 6 07880 01794; all lot codes), due to a quality issue.
- Food Safety Alert Update: The Missouri Department of Agriculture has announced that state inspection has resumed at Alma Meats, after the business addressed violations identified in January 2012. A state inspector will be present at Alma each day during processing.
- Dietary Supplement Withdrawal: C.B. Fleet Company, Inc. withdraws Lax Fiber Gummies Daily Fiber Supplement, 60-count (Lot Nos. 42414, 43136, 43831, 45189, 45656, 46425, 46885, 47353, 47771, 47949, 48260, 48742, 48994, 49206, 49793, 50301, 50587, 51491, 51966, and 53147), because Gummie dietary supplements of a different type are co-mingled with the fiber dietary supplement. The product was sold in VG’s Grocery, VG’s Fresh Market, Spartan, Valu Land, Glen’s Markets, Glen’s Fresh Market, Family Fare Supermarkets, and D&W Fresh Market stores.
- Allergy Alert: Farmer John’s Herbs recalls Farmer John’s Herbs brand “Mud Pie” Macaroon Cookie Mix (400g; All codes; UPC 7 73353 60077 6), due to the presence of undeclared sulphites. The recalled cookie mix was distributed through retailers in Alberta, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and Ontario.
- OTC Pharmaceutical Product Safety Recall: Vita Health Products recalls Rexall Extra Strength Sinus Relief Daytime and Nightime Caplets “combo pack” (Lot #00058398B), due to a labeling error. Health Canada advises that the text printed on the back of the blister foil incorrectly identifies the nighttime caplets as the daytime caplets and the daytime caplets as nighttime caplets.
- Unauthorized Health Product Alert: Health Canada advises that the unauthorized health product, “Power-X” has been removed from store shelves at the Chong Kun Dang Health store in Burnaby, BC after Health Canada’s testing identified undeclared thiodimethylsildenafil in the product. Consumers should be aware that the product may also be available for sale elsewhere.
- Food Safety Recall (Finland): Inex Partners Oy recalls Rainbow Suklaahippukakut/Chocolate chip cakes (350g; Best before 11/05/2012) because the product may contain pieces of plastic.
- Pharmaceutical Product Safety Recall (UK): Moorfields Pharmaceuticals recalls Bevacizumab, prepared for intraocular use (Batch Nos. 003673, 003679, 003748, 003749, 003750, 003812, 003752, 003773, 003777, 003784, 003786, 003793, 003833, 003868(?), 003795, 003798, 003805, 003829, 003832, 003837, 003840, 003844, 003883, 003852 and 003861), after a small group of patients developed signs and symptoms consistent with a sterile endophthalmitis after receiving an intravitreal injection of Bevacizumab.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0375): Parasitic infestation with nematodes of canned cod liver from Poland; distributed to Bulgaria and Poland.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0376): Glass fragments in chocolate chip cake from Denmark; distributed to Denmark and Finland.
- Allergy Alert Notification (EU #2012.0377): Undeclared milk ingredient in dark chocolate and dark chocolate containing dried fruit from Spain; distributed to Portugal and Spain.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Chinese Medicine Safety Recall (Hong Kong): The Department of Health alerts the public not to buy or consume the unregistered proprietary Chinese medicine Tong Ren Xiu Fu Kou Fu Yi Dao Su, as it may contain the undeclared and banned Western drugs phenformin and glibenclamide.
- Outbreak Alert (India): Two children died of food poisoning in Ghazipur district and more than 30 others participants at a fair were admitted to a community health center, complaining of symptoms. Police are investigating food vendors that sold food during the fair.
Australia and New Zealand
- Outbreak Alert Update (New Zealand): The regional public health service advises that an outbreak of Hepatitis A affecting nine Auckland schools has stabilized, but is not yet over. Thirty probable and confirmed cases have been reported so far.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.