Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Pet Food Safety Recall: Cargill Animal Nutrition recalls Nutrena NatureWise® Goat Pellet 16 (50 lb bags; Lot codes 1MG1365, 3MG2049 and 1MG2056) because the feed contains undeclared Decoquinate, a medicated article for the prevention of coccidiosssis, that not approved for lactating goats.
- Food Safety Withdrawal: Gerber Products Company withdraws Gerber® Good Start® Gentle Powdered Infant Formula (23.2 oz plastic pkg; Batch GXP1684; Expiry March 5, 2013), because the product might have an off-odor noticeable to some consumers. Some cases of spit-up and other gastrointestinal complaints have been reported.
- Outbreak Alert (California): Los Arboles Middle School in Marina, CA sent home 110 students who were suffering from gastrointestinal illness. The students were suffering from flushed cheeks, light-headedness, stomach cramps, nausea and vomiting.
- Allergy Alert: Whole Foods Market Inc. recalls Spinach Mushroom Quiche (approx 280g; UPC 0275184 316999; Sold March 1 to 5, 2012), because the package actually contains Spinach Pine Nut Quiche. The recalled product was sold only from the Whole Foods Market Cambie Store, 510 West 8th Avenue, Vancouver, BC.
- Allergy Alert (Finland): FK Trube Oy recalls Blueberry-Raspberry Filled Bun (225g pkg; Best before 10/03/2012), because some of the packages contain Apple Filled Buns instead.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): SuperGros A/S recalls First Price Peanuts (250g; All date codes) and Best/SuperBest Peanuts (250g; All date codes), because a foreign object that resembles a piece of jaw from a small animal was found in a bag of the peanuts.
- Pharmaceutical Product Safety Recall (France): Bristol-Myers Squibb recalls Coumadine, 5mg scored tablets (Lot 1K04; Expiry October 2013), because of a defect in the seal of certain blister packs.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Pharmaceutical Product Safety Recall (Hong Kong): Hong Kong Red Cross Blood Transfusion Service recalls all Albumex 5 Infusion 12.5g/250ml and Albumex 20 Infusion 10g/50ml, after receiving notification from the Australian manufacturer that some of the products were found contaminated with ethylene glycol.
- Pharmaceutical Product Safety Recall (Singapore): The Health Sciences Authority recalls all supplies of Albumex 20® (20% albumin) manufactured by the Australian bio-pharmaceutical company CSL Biotherapies (CSL) from public hospitals as a precautionary measure following detection by HSA’s laboratories of trace amounts of ethylene glycol in samples of the product.
Australia and New Zealand
- Food Safety Recall (Australia): Almarae Dairy Products recalls Almarae Dairy Products Country Cheese, soft cheese in brine (Glass jar with white lid; Date code 20 May 2012), due to contamination with Listeria and E. coli. The recalled cheese was sold at the Almarae Dairy Products retail store and a convenience store in Punchbowl, NSW.
- Pharmaceutical Product Safety Recall (Australia): CSL Limited recalls all batches manufactured prior to 25 January 2012 of: Albumex 4 (500mL), Albumex 4 (50mL), Albumex 20 (100mL) and Albumex 20 (10mL), because the products may be contaminated with very low levels of ethylene glycol as a consequence of equipment failure.
Latin America and the Caribbean
- Consumer Product Safety Recall (Mexico): Distribuidora Jugarás, S.A. de C.V. recalls Súper Luchamanía plastic dolls (Manufactured in Mexico), due to elevated levels of lead in the paint.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.