Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Food Safety Recall (March 7, 2012 Enforcement Report): Specialty Commodities, Inc. (Fargo, ND) recalled by telephone and email (on January 23, 2012) Mellace Family Brands Raw Organic Cashews ( 25 lbs net wt; Lot #USGE19387; Manufactured by PT. JAVA Mete Indonesia), due to Salmonella contamination. The recalled Organic Cashews were distributed to California, Michigan and Oregon.
- Food Recall: Coca-Cola Refreshments recalls Gold Peak Sweet Tea (500mL; Lot code APR1312 AM 7 G), because the product may not meet the company’s quality standards throughout the entire shelf life.
- Outbreak Alert Update: CDC reports that the outbreak of E. coli O26 illnesses linked to consumption of raw clover sprouts at Jimmy John’s restaurants has grown to include 25 confirmed victims in Alabama (1), Iowa (5), Missouri (3), Kansas (2), Michigan (9), Arkansas (1), Ohio (3) and Wisconsin (1). Six people have been hospitalized.
- Allergy Alert: Gold Phoenix Asian Food (Royston, BC) recalls Crispy Vegetable & Yam Spring Rolls & Sauce (500 to 650g; UPC 8 13006 00008 6) and Vietnamese Crispy Spring Rolls & Sauce (500 to 650g; UPC 8 13006 00009 3), because the products contain undeclared fish and soy. The recalled frozen spring rolls were distributed in British Columbia.
- Food Safety Recall: G. Dion Foods (Saint-Jerome, QC) recalls Dion brand Organic Curry Powder (36g packages; Lot code 02B01G; UPC 20383 02007 7), because the product may be contaminated with Salmonella. The recalled curry powder was distributed in Ontario and Quebec.
- Allergy Alert (Netherlands): Baronie De Heer recalls Choco-filled Chocolate Easter Eggs (1kg bag; Batch code CFBK30LO), because the chocolate eggs contain undeclared nuts, gluten and egg.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): Løgismose mejeri A/S recalls Løgismose Organic Drinking Yogurt 1% with Strawberry and Orange (350 ml; Best before 17.03.2012; Product of Sweden), because the beverage is contaminated with yeast.
- Food Safety Recall (Italy): New Factor Spa recalls Raw and Toasted Iranian Pistachios (variable weight packaging; Lot #211444, 211453 and 211445; Expiry 11/2012, 04/2012 and 07/2012, respectively), due to contamination with aflatoxins.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Pharmaceutical Product Safety Recall (Hong Kong): Novartis Pharmaceuticals (HK) Ltd. recalls Ospexin Cap 500mg and Ospexin Cap 250mg (All batch codes; Manufactured by Sandoz GmbH, Austria) because when the products stored at 30 degree Celsius and 75 per cent relative humidity for 12 months, the tests on dissolution, water content and capsule shell colour were found to be unsatisfactory.
- Outbreak Alert (Philippines): The Department of Health reports that the number of suspected typhoid fever cases in Tuburan, Cebu City has grown to 924, as of March 4th.
Australia and New Zealand
- Dietary Supplement Safety Advisory (Australia): The Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA) has tested Xiyouji Zingzhi weight loss capsules and found that the capsules contain the undeclared prescription drug sibutramine, despite the label claim that this is a natural product. In addition, the levels of sibutramine in the capsules are higher than levels previous approved by TGA for prescription use. These capsules pose a serious risk to health, and should be discarded.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.