Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Food Safety Recall: Tyson Prepared Foods, Inc. (South Hutchinson, KS) recalls Arrezzio-Cooked Beef Pizza Topping Manzo Cotto Per Pizza (2 x 5-lb pkgs per 10-lb carton labeled as “Cooked Pizza Topping”; Produced Jan 12, 2012; Est. 623), due to the presence of undeclared pork. The recalled product was sold to foodservice institutions nationwide via a distributor; it was not sold in retail grocery stores.
- Food Recall: Lowes Foods recalls Gold Peak Sweetened Black Tea (UPC8390000645; Lot code APR 1312 AM 7 G ONLY), because the product does not meet quality standards.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Blossom Enterprises LLC dba Sea Blossom Seafoods (Olympia, WA) that a November 2011 inspection of the company’s seafood processing facility revealed serious violations of the seafood Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) regulation, and the Current Good Manufacturing Practice regulation for foods.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Ming’s Food, Inc. (Chamblee, GA) that a May/June 2011 inspection of the company’s food warehouse and processing facility revealed serious violations of the Current Good Manufacturing Practice (CGMP) regulation for foods.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Breathable Foods, Inc. (Cambridge, MA) that a February 2012 review of the company’s website (www.aeroshots.com) determined that the product AeroShot is misbranded, in that the labeling of this product is false or misleading.
- Consumer Product Safety Alert: FDA warns consumers not to use skin creams, beauty and antiseptic soaps or lotions that may contain mercury. The products are marketed as skin lighteners and anti-aging treatments that remove age spots, freckles, blemishes and wrinkles, according to a alert issued today by FDA.
- Allergy Alert (Update): Perestroika Products Ltd. (Burnaby, BC) recalls Red Square brand Real Deal Energy Cookies – Oatmeal, Flax & Raisin (650g pkg containing 8 bars; Lot codes 35520.11 and 36120.11), because the product contains undeclared milk. The recalled product was distributed through London Drugs stores in Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba and Saskatchewan.
- Food Safety Recall: T. Lauzon Ltée recalls T. Lauzon Ltée Lean Ground Veal (2.5 kg; Code 343-11), due to contamination with E. coli O157:H7. The recalled ground veal was distributed to hotels, restaurants and/or institutions in Ontario.
- Food Safety Recall: New Food Classics recalls unbranded Beef Burger – Classic (13.8kg pkgs; Prod Date 11 OC 12; Item 55240; Est 761), due to possible contamination with E. coli O157:H7. The recalled product was distributed to hotels, restaurants and/or institutions in Alberta and Saskatchewan.
- Food Safety Recall: Choi Kee (North Kee Trading) recalls AA Meat Honeycomb Beef Tripe (22 lb; Produced between January 11, 2011 and February 8, 2012), AA Meat Duck Feet (40 lb; Produced between April 7, 2011 and February 8, 2012), AA Meat Beef Omasum Tripe (22 lb; Produced between January 11, 2011 and February 8, 2012), AA Meat Chicken Feet (40 lb; Produced between April 7, 2011 and February 8, 2012), and AA Meat Pork Uteri (40 lb; Produced between April 7, 2011 and February 8, 2012). The recalled meats were imported from the USA, where they were recalled by AA Meat Products Corporation (Maywood, CA) due to having been processed without the benefit of federal inspection. The recalled products were distributed to retailers, hotels, restaurants and institutions in Alberta, British Columbia and Saskatchewan.
- Allergy Alert (UK): Lituanica UK Ltd recalls Arsenal Marshmallow Vanilla (600g; All Best Before date codes to 26 August 2012), because the product contains undeclared peanuts.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0332): Aflatoxins in groundnuts from Argentina, via the Netherlands; distributed to Germany.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0334): Aflatoxins in Brazil nuts from Bolivia; distributed to the United Kingdom.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0335): Aflatoxins in apricot kernels from Turkey, via Germany; distributed to Austria, Croatia, Cyprus, Estonia, Finland, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Italy, the Netherlands, Poland, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0337): Salmonella spp. in pasteurized liquid egg white from France; distributed to Belgium, France and Luxembourg.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0338): Unauthorized phenthoate in pomelos from China; distributed to Hungary.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0339): Rye ergot in broken rye kernels from Germany; distributed to Denmark.
- Pet Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0340): Salmonella in lamb meal from the Netherlands; distributed to Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0341): Tin in canned pineapple slices from Thailand, via Germany; distributed to Finland.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0342): Metal contamination (staple) in cocoa coated wafers from Turkey; distributed to Germany.
- Animal Feed Safety Notification (EU #2012.0343): Salmonella Havana in soy bean meal from Denmark; distributed to Finland.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0344): Insect infestation in dates with marzipan from Tunisia, packaged in Slovakia; distributed to Slovakia.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0345): Parasitic infestation with nematodes of canned cod livers from Poland; distributed to Bulgaria.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0345): Elevated doramectin residue in corned beef from Brazil; distributed to the United Kingdom.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0346): Aflatoxins in pistachio nuts from Iran; distributed to the United Kingdom.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0350): Dead insects in frozen spinach from France, via Italy; distributed to Italy.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Food Safety Alert (Taiwan): The Taipei City Government Department of Health has confiscated nearly 2,800 kilograms of US beef and beef products at My Home Steak, after they were found to contain 2.3 ppb of the leanness-enhancing substance ractopamine.
- Proprietary Chinese Medicine Recall (Hong Kong): Fung Wah (HK) Company (operated by Honour Essence Trading Limited) and Kin Kwok Trading Co. recall Chung Lien Kulin Brand] Anshen Bunao Pian and [Chung Lien] Bi Yan Pian (both manufactured in the Mainland), due to excessive mercury contamination and traces of paracetamol, respectively.
Australia and New Zealand
- Allergy Alert (New Zealand): Oriental Merchant Pty Ltd. recalls Crown Pie Chocolate Pie with Marshmallow Cream Biscuits (180 g carton containing 8 biscuits; All batches; Product of Korea), because the product contains undeclared egg. The recalled biscuits were sold in all leading supermarkets, Asian stores and independent retail outlets throughout New Zealand.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.