Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Food Safety Recall: The Canadian Food Inspection Agency announces the recall of Salmon Lox Trim Classic (random weights; sold at Whole Foods Market, 925 Main Street, West Vancouver, BC and at Whole Foods Market, 510 W. 8th Ave., Vancouver, BC on February 16-24, inclusive; Sell by dates 2012.02.27, 2012.02.28, 2012.02.29, 2012.03.01 and 2013.03.02; Packed on dates 2012.02.17, 2012.02.18 and 2012.02.19), Lox Trim (random weights; sold at The Salmon Shop, #112-1689 Johnston Street, Vancouver, BC on February 16-24, inclusive; Packed on dates FE 17, FE 18, FE 19, FE 20, FE 21, and FE 22) and Unlabelled lox (random weights; sold at The Daily Catch Seafood Company, 1418 Commercial Drive, Vancouver, BC on February 16-24, inclusive; No date codes), because the products may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes. The affected products may also have been sold unlabelled over the counter at the indicated retailers.
- Food Safety Recall/Outbreak Alert: New Food Classics (Burlington, ON) recalls Country Morning brand Beef Burgers, frozen (2.27 kg pkg; UPC 057316 086624; Lot codes 12861 EST 761, 22861 EST 761, 32861 EST 761 and 42861 EST 761), because the product may be contaminated with E. coli O157:H7. The recalled product was distributed to Co-op and TGP grocery stores in British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario, Northwest Territories, Yukon and Nunavut. One reported illness has been associated with the consumption of this product. This is an expansion of an earlier recall. For a consolidated list of products recalled by New Food Classics, please click on the E. coli O157:H7 Beef Recall – Canada tab at the top of the page.
- Outbreak Alert: A Prince Albert, Saskatchewan toddler has tested positive for Giardia, a parasite that was found in the city’s water supply earlier this month. Prince Albert has been under a “boil water” order since February 7th, after tests confirmed the presence of both Giardia and Cryptosporidium in the water.
- Outbreak Alert Update: The Hamilton, Ontario public health department has confirmed 4 cases of Salmonella and is still investigating an additional 36 cases that it believes are associated with the Eat a Pita restaurant on Main Street East.
- Outbreak Alert (Georgia): Eleven residents of Tbilisi have developed symptoms of food poisoning. All eleven report having consumed shawarma from a single (unnamed) outlet in the center of Tbilisi.
Australia and New Zealand
- Outbreak Alert (Australia): The Immigration Department has confirmed two cases of typhoid (Salmonella typhi) among crew members of two different asylum boats. Asylum seekers are being held on Christmas Island until authorities have completed their investigation and are certain that the outbreak is contained.
Latin America and the Caribbean
- Outbreak Alert (Guatemala): Six children have died after falling ill with diarrhea, fever, respiratory problems, nausea, vomiting and convulsions. The cause of the illnesses is unidentified. Authorities have ruled out several viral causes, and are seeking to determine whether the illnesses may have been due to pesticide exposure.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.