Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Dietary Supplement Safety Recall: Regeneca, Inc. recalls RegenErect (single capsule packet; UPC 816860010055; all lots), because the product, which is labeled as a dietary supplement, contains the prescription drug Tadalafil. The recalled product was distributed via the internet to consumers in the USA and Puerto Rico, and given as samples at public events.
- Pharmaceutical Products Safety Recall: Glenmark Generics Inc recalls the oral contraceptive Norgestimate and Ethinyl Estradiol Tablets USP, 0.18 mg/0.035 mg, 0.215 mg/0.035 mg, 0.25 mg/0.035 mg (NDC 68462-565-29; Lot Nos. 04110101, 04110106, 04110107, 04110114, 04110124, 04110129 and 0110134; Expiration 07/31/2013, 08/31/2013 and 09/30/2013), due to a packaging error that resulted in a reversal of the weekly tablet orientation.
- Outbreak Alert: The South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control has investigated more than twice the usual number of reported outbreaks thought to be associated with norovirus since the the start of 2012. Outbreaks have occurred in schools, nursing homes, and assisted living facilities.
- Allergy Alert: Veggie Favour Food Store recalls Veggie Favour Super Mushroom Ball – Vegan Style Soy Product (300g; no codes), Veggie Favour Veggie Half of Kidney Style Soy Product (300g; no codes), Veggie Favour Vegan Black Pepper Mini Burger Style – Soy Product (280g; no codes), Veggie Favour Vegan Half Chicken Style – Soy Product (180g; no codes), and Veggie Favour Vegan Black Pepper Chicken – Soy Product (290g; no codes), due to the presence of undeclared egg, milk, and wheat in these products. The recalled items were distributed in British Columbia.
- Allergy Alert: Israel’s Judaica Centre, aka Israel Book and Gift (Toronto, ON) recalls Lin’s Farm brand Pure Honey (250g and 130g; Lot code BB 07/2014), and Lin’s Farm brand 3 Healthy delights 3-jar gift pack (3 jars x 30g; Lot code BB 07/2014), because they may contain harmful sulphonamide antibiotic drug residue. The recalled products were imported from Israel and distributed in Ontario, Quebec and Alberta.
- Food Safety Recall/Outbreak Alert: New Food Classics (Burlington, ON) recalls Grillhouse brand Angus Beef Burgers (4.59kg; Est no. 761; Product code 55377; Lot code 11 OC 11), Grillhouse brand Beef Burger with Seasoning, 3.2 oz (4.54 kg; Est no. 761; Product code 52988; Lot code 11 OC 12), and Grillhouse brand Beef Burger with Seasoning, 4 oz (4.54 kg; Est no. 761; Product code 52981; Lot code 11 OC 12), because the products may be contaminated with E. coli O157:H7. There has been one reported illness associated with the consumption of these products. The recalled Grillhouse beef burger products were distributed nationally through restaurants and institutional establishments.
- Food Safety Recall (UK): SPAR (UK) Limited recalls SPAR Flame Grilled Chicken Chunks (140g packs; Use by 3 March 2012), after low levels of Listeria monocytogenes were detected in one sample during routine monitoring. The affected batch was distributed to stores in the Midlands and Wales.
- Food Safety Recall (Germany): FTRECAL – Fromagerie de l’Ermitage (Bulgnéville, France) recalls Ermitage Morbier semi-hard cheese, 45% fat after shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli (STEC) were found in two samples of the Morbier cheese. The recalled cheese was sold at service counters up to and including Monday, February 20, 2012.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.