Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Food Safety Recall: The Florida Brewery, Inc. recalls Goya (Lot codes 12/01/13, 12/08/13, 12/27/13, 12/28/13, 12/29/13, and 01/06/13), Great Value (Lot codes 1/05/13 and 1/06/13), Hatuey (Lot codes 12/21/13, 12/22/13, 01/06/13, and 01/07/13), Mr. Special (Lot codes 11/30/13, 12/01/13, 12/08/13, and 12/09/13), Polar (Lot codes 11/30/12, 12/22/12, 12/23/12, 12/29/12, 12/30/12, 01/03/13, and 01/04/13), Publix (Lot codes 11/28/13, 12/09/13, and 12/27/13), Regal (Lot codes 12/01/13, 12/09/13, 12/27/13, and 12/28/13) and Super Max (Lot code 12/09/13) non-alcoholic malta beverages packaged in 7-oz bottles, because glass on the exterior of the bottles may break when the twist-off cap is removed from the bottles. The recalled products were distributed in Florida, Texas, California and Puerto Rico between December 8, 2011 and February 1, 2012.
- Food Safety Recall: Nuts & Spice Co. (Union City, CA) recalls HB Rewari Sugar-Flat sugar candy, HB Rewari Gur-Coin Jaggery Candy, HB Rewari Sugar-Coin sugar candy and HB Rewari Sugar-Round Candy (28 oz/800g pkgs; Imported from India; All date codes), due to unacceptable levels of lead in the candies. The recalled products were distributed in Northern California.
- Pharmaceutical Product Safety Recall: American Regent recalls Phenylephrine HCl Injection, USP, 1% (10mg/mL), (5 mL Vial NDC # 0517-0405-25, Lot # 0693, Exp Date: October, 2012), due to potential safety concerns stemming from the identification of visible particles found in some retained samples of this lot.
- Pharmaceutical Product Safety Recall: Bedford Laboratories™ recalls Cytarabine for injection, USP 1 gram per vial (NDC #55390-133-01; Lot 2066986, Exp March 31, 2014; Lot 2111675, Exp April 30, 2014; Lot 2131148, Exp May 31, 2014), due to a post-release investigation of the manufacturing area which determined a potential elevated risk of a lack of sterility assurance for these specific lots.
- Food Safety Alert: The Vermont Agency of Agriculture, Food, and Markets (VAAFM) is strongly cautioning consumers to be wary of door-to-door meat sellers, following reports of sellers arriving unannounced at Vermont residences, using high-pressure tactics to sell meat of questionable origin to homeowners.
- Outbreak Alert Update: The Campylobacter outbreak associated with consumption of unpasteurized milk from The Family Cow dairy in Pennsylvania has grown to 78 confirmed cases, including 2 in New Jersey, 5 in Maryland, and 3 in West Virginia. Sixty-eight Pennsylvanians also have been infected. Four of the five Maryland victims were less than 18 years old. According to the New Jersey Department of Health, the outbreak occurred despite the fact that Family Cow Dairy is licensed, inspected, and operating in compliance with Pennsylvania laws.
- Allergy Alert: Groupe Épicia inc recalls several Jardin Mobile brand ready-to-eat products, due to the presence of undeclared milk, wheat, soy, eggs, pine nuts and/or sesame.
- Food Safety Recall/Outbreak Alert Update: New Food Classics has expanded its earlier recall to clarify distribution. The company has recalled Country Morning Beef Burgers (1 kg; UPC 0 57316 02941 6; Lots 52841 EST 761, 62841 EST 761, 72841 EST 761, and 82841 EST 761), and no name Club Pack Beef Steakettes (2.27 kg; UPC 0 60383 01321 9; Lots BB 2012 AL 10 EST 761), due to possible contamination with E. coli O157:H7. One illness has been reported, for which no details have been released. The Country Morning Beef Burgers product has been distributed to COOP and TGP grocery stores in British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario, North West Territories, Yukon Territories and Nunavut. The no name Club Pack Beef Steakettes have been distributed by Loblaws to Cash&Carry/RCWC Ontario Corporate, Extra Foods, Freshmart, Loblaws Great Food, no frills, RCWC West Corporate, Real Canadian Superstore, Value-mart, Your Independent Grocer, Zehrs and Zehrs Great Food stores in Ontario, to Extra Foods, Extra Foods no frills, Real Canadian Superstore West Corporate, Shop Easy/SuperValu, Superstore, Your Independent Grocer in British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba, and to stores in the North West Territories, Yukon Territories and Nunavut.
- Outbreak Alert: The Hamilton public health department is investigating four cases of salmonellosis that may be linked to the Eat a Pita restaurant on Main Street East at Kenilworth Avenue. The restaurant has been temporarily closed.
- Food Safety Recall (Sweden): Axfood recalls Ground Meat, 20% fat (1kg and 2.2kg; Use by 28 February 2012), because the product, which contains beef from Ireland and pork from Denmark, may be contaminated with Salmonella.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): IGOs A/S recalls Light Blueberry Jam (280g glass jar; Best before 14/2-2013 (L750) and 17/3-2013 (L934)), due to mold growth in some of the jars.
- Food Withdrawal (Greece): Carrefour Marinopoulos SA withdraws Genuine LADOPAXIMADA KYTHERA Whole Nuts (380-400g bags; Expiry 25/04/12), due to rancidity.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Medical Device Product Safety Recall (Hong Kong): The Department of Health alerts the public to the recall of certain lots of a blood glucose test strip in France. The affected product is Mylife™ Pura® (box of 100’s) manufactured by Bionime Corporation. The test strips may give falsely high blood glucose readings.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.