Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Food Safety Recall Update: The Kroger Company advises consumers that the following recalled meat products were sold in Food4Less and FoodsCo. stores: AA Steer Book Beef Tripe (Random weight, RW), AA Steer Beef Tripe Honeycomb (Random weight RW), and AA Regular Beef Tripe (Random weight, RW). The meat products were recalled by AA Meat Products Corporation (Maywood, CA) because they may have been produced without the benefit of federal inspection.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Productos del Convento, S.A. de C.V. (Mexico City, Mexico) that an August 2011 inspection of the ocmpany’s low-acid canned foods facility determined that the firm had serious deviations from the low-acid canned foods regulation and emergency permit control regulation.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Ginsberg’s Institutional Foods, Inc. (Hudson, NY) that a December 2011 inspection of the company’s seafood processing facility revealed serious violations of the seafood Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) regulation.
- Consumer Product Safety Alert: Health Canada advises consumers to immediately discard the Pizza Playset (UPC 094922130778) and Fishing Game (UPC 094922553980), toys manufactured by Ningbo Ftz Zhengbao International Trading Co., Ltd (China), after Health Canada finds that the toys contain lead in excess of the allowable limit.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0264): Salmonella enteritidis in fresh eggs from Poland; distributed to Denmark.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0265): Salmonella spp. in chilled ready to eat sausage spread from France; distributed to France and Germany.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Outbreak Alert (Canary Islands): An outbreak of gastroenteritis that killed two people and sickened 17 – all residents or staff members at a mentally handicapped center in Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, was due to Shigella flexneri, a bacterium that is spread through contaminated food and water.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.