Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Food Safety Recall: Schnuck Markets Inc. (Bloomington, IL) recalls selected varieties of beef cuts sold between noon and 5:30pm on Saturday, February 18th at its Bloomington, IL store located at 1701 East Empire Street, after metal shavings were discovered on the saw at the store. The recall includes Sirloin steak, Rib Eye steak, Round steak, Chuck roast and Chuck steaks.
- Food Safety Recall: Lemon-X Corporation (Huntington Station, NY) recalls Thirster Brand Iced Tea bag-in-the box concentrates (all current dates), due to a slight change in the final pH of the product that shortened the product’s overall shelf life. The recall includes the following four products, which were distributed to foodservice outlets across the U.S. since the summer of 2011: TEA BASE, ICED 11:1 BAG-IN-BOX CAFFEINATED SHELF STABLE; TEA BASE, ICED SWEETENED 11:1 BAG-IN-BOX CAFFEINATED SHELF STABLE; TEA BASE, ICED UNSWEETENED 5:1 BAG-IN-BOX CAFFEINATED SHELF STABLE; and TEA BASE, ICED CHARLESTON UNSWEETENED 5:1 BAG-IN-BOX CAFFEINATED SHELF STABLE.
- Allergy Alert: Délices Érabeille (Mascouche, QC) recalls Sauce gingembre, tamari et wasabi/Ginger, tamari and wasabi sauce (All codes/dates), due to the presence of undeclared wheat.
- Allergy Alert: Asda recalls Asda Frozen Extra Special (twin packs) Cheesecake White Chocolate and Raspberry (230g; Best before end September 2012), due to the presence of undeclared egg and sulphur dioxide.
- Allergy Alert: Delight Foods withdraws Periyar Fish Pickle (400g; All date codes) and Periyar Prawn Pickle (400g; All date codes), due to incorrect labeling. The products contain sesame oil, which has been listed as gingelly oil (an uncommon name for sesame oil).
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): Hilton Foods A/S recalls Minced pork butcher 8-12% (500g; Batch #400260703A; Expiry 14/2-2012), after Salmonella was found in a sample of the product. The recalled pork was sold in Kvickly, SuperBrugsen, Da Facts and shops throughout Denmark.
- Medical Device Safety Recall (France): Bionime Taiwan recalls mylife™ Pura® Glucose Test Strips (100/container; Distributed by Ypsomed France and sold in pharmacies between October 2010 and December 6, 2011), because some of the containers were not sealed. If exposed to air, the test strips could produce abnormally elevated test results, leading to inappropriate treatment decisions. Please refer to the downloadable list of affected lot codes.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Food Safety Enforcement (Abu Dhabi): Abu Dhabi Food Control Authority (ADFCA) conducted a one-day inspection campaign, covering 80 food establishments in Al Zayani area. The inspections resulted in 25 warnings to suppliers, and 36 warnings and 4 fines to retailers. Fifteen of the 80 establishments were found to meet ADFCA food safety requirements.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.