Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Allergy Alert: Upper 49th Imports Inc. recalls Designer Whey Protein Powder – Chocolate (908g; Imported; Code #4211165186B 11:16 ENJOY BY: JUN 2013), due to the presence of undeclared gluten. The recalled product was distributed at the retail level across Canada.
- Allergy Alert: Israel’s Judaica Centre, aka Israel Book and Gift (Toronto, ON), recalls Lin’s Farm brand Pure Honey (30g, 130g, 250g & 375g; Lot Code BB 06/2015), Lin’s Farm brand 3 Healthy Delights (3 x 30g; Lot code BB 06/2015), and Lin’s Farm brand Holy Land Tastes (4 x 115g; Lot code BB 06/2015), due to the presence of sulphonamide antibiotic residue. The recalled products were distributed in the Greater Toronto area.
- Allergy Alert Update: Ilana Robyn Foods Ltd. (Toronto, ON) amends its earlier recall of Sweets From The Earth brand products to include additional formats of the affected lot codes. The recall was initiated due to the presence of undeclared milk in the products, which include Dairy Free Wild Blueberry Cheesecake, Spiced Carrot Cake, Dairy Free Chocolate Cheesecake, and Gluten Free & Dairy Free Espresso Cheesecake. The products have been distributed in Alberta, British Columbia, Ontario and Quebec. There have been three reported reactions associated with the consumption of these products.
- Food Safety Recall: Asian Food Centre Stores recall Pachranga Foods brand Amla Pickle-Gooseberry Pickle in Oil (800g; Best before 15/07/2013; Batch #7611), due to microbiological spoilage. The recalled product was distributed in Ontario.
- Food Safety Advisory: Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd. advises customers that Boneless Pork Loin Centre & Rib and Boneless Pork Loin Full Case, sold in Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba Costco stores between February 14th and February 16th, inclusive are labeled with an incorrect Best Before date. The vacuum packed pork loins bearing a Production date of February 1, 2012 should be consumed by March 2nd, 2012 to avoid any food safety or quality issues.
- Food Safety Recall/Outbreak Alert: New Food Classics (Burlington, ON) recalls Country Morning Beef Burgers (1kg; UPC 0 57316 02941 6; Lots 52841 EST 761, 62841 EST 761, 72841 EST 761, and 82841 EST 761) and no name Club Pack Beef Steakettes (2.27kg; UPC 0 60383 01321 9; Lot #BB 2012 AL 10 EST 761), because the products may be contaminated with E. coli O157:H7. There has been one reported illness associated with the consumption of this product. The Country Morning Beef Burgers were distributed to COOP and TGP grocery stores in British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, and Northwest Territories. The no name Club Pack Beef Steakettes were distributed by Loblaws to Cash&Carry/RCWC Ontario Corporate, Extra Foods, Freshmart, Loblaws Great Food, no frills, RCWC West Corporate, Real Canadian Superstore, Value-mart, Your Independent Grocer, Zehrs, and Zehrs Great Food in Ontario, and to Extra Foods, Extra Foods no frills, Real Canadian Superstore West Corporate, Shop Easy/SuperValu, Superstore, and Your Independent Grocer in British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba.
- Food Safety Recall (Italy): Leaf Italia S.r.l. recalls Sperlari Granperle fondenti con granella di torrone (160g; Lot #L11284, L11285, L11287, L11294, L11296, and L11300), due to possible contamination with foreign material.
- Food Safety Recall (Germany): EDEKA/Franconia Good recalls Meat Sausage Pieces 1/2 (sold at Deli counters; Best before 03/03/2012), Meat Sausage Ring (sold at Deli counters; Best before 03/03/2012) and Good Deli Franken-Meat Sausage (500g; Best before 28/02/2012), because the products may be contaminated with small metal particles.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.