Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- OTC Pharmaceutical Product Recall: McNeil Consumer Healthcare recalls Infants’ TYLENOL® Oral Suspension, 1 oz Grape (UPC 300450122308; Lot Nos. BIL0U00, BIL0V00, BIL3500, BJL2D00, BJL2E00, BJL2T00, BJL2U00) after receiving a small number of complaints from consumers who reported difficulty using the Infants’ TYLENOL® SimpleMeasure™ dosing system. SimpleMeasure™ includes a dosing syringe, which a parent or caregiver inserts into a protective cover, or “flow restrictor,” at the top of the bottle to measure the proper dose. In some cases, the flow restrictor was pushed into the bottle when inserting the syringe. Children’s TYLENOL® products are intended for children two years of age and older and remain available. Please go to the Tylenol website for additional information and instructions.
- Allergy Alert: Ilana Robyn Foods Ltd. (Toronto, ON) recalls Sweets From The Earth Spiced Carrot Cake (100g; UPC 855144001037; Best before dates up to and including Feb 27, 2012), because the product contains undeclared milk. The recalled product was distributed in Quebec and Ontario.
- Allergy Alert: I.M.U.R. Chef (Saint-Laurent, QC) recalls Bean & Barley Soup, Cabbage Soup, Pea Soup, Matza Ball Soup, and Chicken Soup, due to the presence of undeclared wheat. The Matza Ball Soup and Chicken Soup also contain undeclared egg.
- Outbreak Alert: Peel County (Ontario) Public Health is warning patrons of Harvey’s restaurant at 6430 Erin Mills Parkway, Mississauga that an employee working at that location was diagnosed with Hepatitis A. Consumers who purchased food from this Harvey’s outlet on January 28th or 29th, or February 4th or 5th may have been exposed to Hepatitis A.
- Allergy Alert (Denmark): Rieber & Son Denmark A/S recalls Rema1000 Remoulade (400g, Lot #L33; Expiry 1/6-2012), due to inadvertent mislabeling, which does not declared the presence of onions, cabbage and spices.
- Food Safety Recall (Belgium): Vitaline SA recalls CEVAL Healthfood brand Fibryn Biscuits au son sans sucre (Lot #118011; Best if used by 30/08/2012), due to visible mold growth.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): Nordic Egg Ltd. recalls Whole Eggs, Grade A, Medium (53-63g; Product of Poland; Expiry 28/2-2012; individual eggs stamped with the code 3PL30221304), because Salmonella enteritidis was found in a sample of the eggs.
- Food Safety Recall (Germany): Messrs. Hans Adler OHG recalls Black Forest Garlic Sausage (approx 900g ring; Best before 03/11/2012), due to the presence of a metallic foreign body.
- Food Safety Alert (Greece): Evrofarma SA announces the temporary suspension of production of Promel yogurt, to allow for investigation of complaints of mold growth in Promel 2% yogurt. The company is cooperating with EFET to determine and correct the source of the problem.
- Dietary Supplement Safety Recall (Denmark): Abigo Pharma A/S recalls Bronikyl Food Supplement, produced by Propharma A/S (250ml; Best before 12-2012), because the supplement contains non-permitted paraben preservatives.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0249): Salmonella typhimurium in chilled chicken from France; distributed to France and the United Kingdom.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0250): Imazalil in oranges from Morocco; distributed to Sweden.
- Dietary Supplement Safety Notification (EU #2012.0253): Unauthorized sildenafil thiono analogue in food supplement from Greece; distributed to Spain.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0255): Escherichia coli in frozen pangasius fillets from Vietnam; distributed to Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0256): Salmonella Weltevreden in fresh pre-packed acacia from Thailand; distributed to the United Kingdom.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0257): Norovirus in oysters from France; distributed to Denmark.
- Allergy Alert Notification (EU #2012.0260): Excessive sulphite in frozen shrimps from China, via Italy; distributed to Malta.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0261): Absence of health mark on loose smoked whole chickens from the United Kingdom; distributed to Ireland.
- Pet Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0262): Salmonella Soerenga in processed animal protein from Belgium; distributed to Belgium, Germany and the Netherlands.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0263): Listeria monocytogenes in smoked trout fillet from Turkey; distributed to the Netherlands.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Cosmetic Product Safety Alert (Philippines): The Philippines Department of Health warns the public that some lipsticks may contain excessive levels of lead.
- Outbreak Alert (Hong Kong): The Centre for Health Protection is investigating an acute gastroenteritis outbreak that has affected 22 children at a residential child care center in Wan Chai. The outbreak victims range in age from 3 to 20 months. A one-year-old boy required hospitalization, but has since been discharged.
- Outbreak Alert (India): At least 100 people who attended a wedding party in Baba Hari Dass Nagar (Southwest Delhi) were hospitalized with food poisoning symptoms. The victims complained of vomiting, headache and stomachache.
Australia and New Zealand
- Allergy Alert (Australia): Coles Supermarkets Ltd. recalls Coles Deli Spicy Capsicum Dip (200g plastic container; Use by 19 MAR 12), due to the presence of undeclared sesame and tree nuts. The recalled product was sold in the Deli section of Coles and Bi-Lo supermarkets in NSW, ACT, TAS and VIC.
- Food Safety Recall (Australia): S&B Gourmet Foods (Aust) Pty Ltd., trading as Salad Servers, recalls Chickpeas with Roast Pumpkin Salad (500g and 350g; Use by 23/02/12), due to contamination with Listeria monocytogenes. The recalled product was sold at IGA, Supabarn and Thomas Dux Supermarkets in New South Wales and Victoria.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.