Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Food Safety Recall: Nuts & Spice Co. (Union City, CA) recalls HB Rewari Gur-Flat Jaggery Candy (28 oz; Product of India; All date codes), due to unacceptable levels of lead. The recalled candy was distributed to retail facilities in Northern California.
- Food Safety Recall: The Chili Station (Ludlow, MA) recalls The Chili Station Beef Chili with Beans (5-gal containers and 1-gal bags; Est. 6380 or P-6380) and The Chili Station Beef Chili with Beans and/or Turkey Chili (5-gal containers and 1-gal bags; Est. 6380 or P-6380), because they may have been produced without the benefit of federal inspection. The recalled products were sold in Massachusetts.
- Outbreak Alert: Officials at George Washington University (Washington, DC) report that about 85 students have been infected with norovirus in the last week. No common link was found.
- Outbreak Alert Update: The Campylobacter raw milk outbreak associated with The Family Cow dairy in Pennsylvania has sickened 77 people in Pennsylvania, Maryland, New Jersey and West Virginia.
- Food Safety Recall: Les Viandes CDS Inc. recalls Bégin Frozen Pepperoni (2.78 kg; Code #35111), due to contamination with metal particles. The recalled product was distributed to hotels, restaurants, and/or institutions in Québec.
- Health Alert: Health Canada advises Canadians of a possible association between the use of prescription stomach antacids (proton pump inhibitors) and an increased risk of Clostridium difficile-associated diarrhea. While healthy adults are not typically vulnerable to C. difficile infections, the risk of infection increases with advanced age, severe underlying illness, hospitalization, or antibiotic use.
- Allergy Alert: Auchan recalls Auchan Oriental Taboulé (400g, 600g, and promotional 400g + 200g free; Best before 15/02/12), due to the presence of undeclared seafood.
- Allergy Alert: ERUs Kasewerk Sangerhausen GmbH recalls ERUs Cream Cheese Exquisito – Indian Spices, due to the presence of undeclared mustard and celery.
- Food Safety Recall: Fiskerikajen ApS recalls Spéciale écaille d’argent 96 No. 3 Oysters (Lot #12034EC3, 12046EC3 and 12056EC3; Production dates 18/1-2012, 27/1-2012, and 3/2-2012, respectively), due to norovirus contamination.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Outbreak Alert (Hong Kong): The Centre for Health Protection is investigating a food poisoning outbreak that has sickened 50 students, who complained of abdominal pain, diarrhea, vomiting and nausea approximately 1 to 20 hours after having lunch in a primary school in Tuen Mun on February 14th.
Australia and New Zealand
- OTC Pharmaceutical Product Safety Recall (Australia): Integria Healthcare Australia Pty Ltd. recalls Greenridge Gastrocalm Liquid (200ml bottle; Batch #5972; Expiry 08/14) and Greenridge Triplex Liquid (200ml bottle; Batch No. 6797; Expiry 08/14), because the affected bottles have been mislabelled.
- Outbreak Alert (Australia): Central Queensland Public Health Unit warns of a recent rise in the number of cases of Cryptosporidium infections across the region. Twenty-six cases have been reported so far in 2012, versus the usual number of 25-30 cases for an entire year.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.