Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Food Safety Recall: House of Spice (Hayward, CA) recalls Laxmi Brand Rewadi (Jaggery) Candy (7 oz; Imported from India; All date codes), due to unacceptable levels of lead. The recalled candy was distributed to retailers in Northern California and Washington state.
- Outbreak Alert Update: Washington State Department of Health has determined that norovirus caused at least 229 illnesses among participants and attendees at a February 4th state high school cheerleading tournament, held in Everett. At least 33 of the victims reported seeking medical care, although no one required hospital admission. State officials expect that the final outbreak tally will be higher than the 229 illness reported so far.
- Outbreak Alert Update: Food Safety News reports that the Campylobacter outbreak associated with drinking raw milk supplied by The Family Cow dairy farm in Chambersburg, PA now encompasses 60 outbreak victims, in four states. Pennsylvania (51 illnesses), Maryland (4), West Virginia (3), and New Jersey (2) all have reported illnesses linked to this outbreak.
- Allergy Alert: Ilana Robyn Foods Ltd. (Toronto, ON) recalls Sweets From The Earth brand Dairy Free Wild Blueberry Cheesecake (800 g; UPC 855144001181; Lots #11338 to 11365 and 12002 to 12038), Spiced Carrot Cake (700 g; UPC 855144001044; Lots #11338 to 11365 and 12002 to 12038), Spiced Carrot Cake (100 g; UPC 855144001037; Best Before dates up to and including Feb 17, 2012), Dairy Free Chocolate Cheesecake (800 g; UPC 855144001198; Lots #11338 to 11365 and 12002 to 12038), and Gluten Free & Dairy Free Espresso Cheesecake (800 g; UPC 855144001327; Lots #11338 to 11365 and 12002 to 12038), due to the presence of undeclared milk. The recalled cake products were distributed in Alberta, British Columbia, Ontario and Quebec.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0211): Histamine in frozen tuna steak from Vietnam; distributed to France.
- Allergy Alert Notification (EU #2012.0212): Undeclared milk in organic pesto alla genovese with basil from Italy; distributed to Ireland and the United Kingdom.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0213): Incorrect expiry date of various chilled Chinese snacks from the United Kingdom; distributed to Ireland and the United Kingdom.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0214): Methanol in vodka from Italy; distributed to the United Kingdom.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0215): Foreign body in bean sprouts from Thailand; distributed to Greece.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0216): Incorrect labelling on frozen swordfish from Vietnam; distributed to Greece.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0217): Hand grenade in potatoes for consumption in bags from France; distributed to Spain.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0218): Aflatoxins in basmati rice from Pakistan, via the Netherlands; distributed to the Czech Republic and Slovakia.
- Allergy Alert Notification (EU #2012.0219): Undeclared wheat in breakfast cereals from the United Kingdom; distributed to Ireland and the United Kingdom.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0220): Norovirus in oysters from France; distributed to Norway.
- Outbreak Alert (Zimbabwe): Eyewitness News reports that the Harare Magistrates Court had to shut down after 5 magistrates and more than 20 clerks became ill with suspected typhoid. Zimbabwe has been suffering from a typhoid outbreak since November, but this is the first indication that the epidemic has affected the central part of the capital city.
Latin America and the Caribbean
- Outbreak Alert Update (Mexico): Staphylococcus aureus has been confirmed as the cause of an outbreak of food poisoning that sickened 709 attendees at a political rally in Guerrero. The bacterium was found in the meal of egg tacos with rice that was given to the attendees to take home with them at the end of the rally.
- Outbreak Alert (Cayman Islands): The Public Health Department of teh Cayman Islands has issued a public health advisory that an unusually high number of cases of gastroenteritis – more than 60 cases per week – have been reported during the past two weeks. The usual rate of illnesses is 15 to 25 cases per week.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.