Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Food Safety Recall: Grand Strand Sandwich Company (Longs, SC) recalls Grand Strand Sandwich (4.5 oz; Sell by 02/24/12 and 02/29/12), Country Harvest Chicken Salad Sandwich (5 oz; Sell by 02/23/12), and Lunchbox Chicken Salad Sandwich (4.5 oz; Sell by 02/24/12), because the sandwiches may contain eggs that were recalled by Michael Foods due to potential contamination with Listeria monocytogenes. The recalled sandwiches were sold in convenience stores in the southeastern USA.
- Outbreak Alert: An outbreak of vomiting and diarrhea has struck attendees of a cheerleading competition in Everett, WA. Onset of symptoms began on February 5th and 6th; the total number of outbreak victims and the cause and source of the illnesses are unknown. Sample testing and epidemiological investigations are in progress.
- Outbreak Alert Update: The outbreak of Campylobacter infections linked to consumption of raw milk from The Family Cow dairy farm in Chambersburg, PA has grown to 43 cases in four states: Pennsylvania (36), Maryland (4), West Virginia (2) and New Jersey (1). The farm has been cleared to resume production and bottling of raw milk after passing a final inspection earlier this week.
- Allergy Alert: The Canadian Food Inspection Agency warns people who are allergic to egg, milk and wheat not to consume Bin Bin brand Spicy Snow Rice Crackers (145g; All lot/date codes; UPC 8 852098 703163), because the crackers contain undeclared egg, milk and wheat. The recalled product was distributed nationally, and is being recalled by its Canadian importers.
- Allergy Alert (UK): Virani Food Products withdraws Virani Gram Flour, labelled as gluten free (2kg; Best before July 2013; Batch code BBE July 2013 010), because the product contains levels of gluten above the limits for foods labelled as gluten free.
- Food Safety Recall (Belgium): Delhaize Belgique recalls Delhaize Ground Nutmeg (40g; Lot P017269; Expiration date 11/2014), due to the presence of aflatoxin B1 that is slightly in excess of legal limits.
- Pharmaceutical Product Safety Recall (France): Laboratoire MSD France recalls Diprostene injectable suspension in pre-filled syringe (Lot 1011 and 1016; Expiry 12/2012 and 04/2013, respectively), due to impurities originating from the piston in a syringe in one of the recalled production lots.
- Outbreak Alert (UK): Europe’s cold snap is blamed for a spike in the incidence of norovirus outbreaks in the UK. Outbreaks of gastroenteritis have been reported in 34 hospitals – confirmed to be norovirus in 19 outbreaks – and wards have closed in 23 hospitals due to the outbreaks.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0192): Mercury in smoked swordfish carpaccio from Italy; distributed to Austria, Italy, Slovenia and Switzerland.
- Animal Feed Safety Notification (EU #2012.0198): Salmonella in bone and meat meal from Sweden; distributed to Italy.
- Allergy Alert Safety Notification (EU #2012.0199): Undeclared hazelnut in hot chocolate mix with marshmallows from Hungary, with raw material from the Netherlands; distributed to Germany, Hungary and Malta.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0200): Oxamyl in courgettes from Spain; distributed to the United Kingdom.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0202): Foreign body in parboiled long grain rice from Thailand; distributed to Malta.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0203): Listeria monocytogenes in paté from Belgium; distributed to Belgium and the Netherlands.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Pharmaceutical Product Safety Recall (Hong Kong): Universal Pharmaceutical Laboratories Limited recalls Uni-Betasone 0.1% Cream (All batches) after Department of Health lab analysis found the cream to contain 1.2mg/g of betamethasone instead of just 1.0 mg/g.
Latin America and the Caribbean
- Outbreak Alert (Chile): An outbreak of listeriosis has affected at least 24 people so far during 2012 in the region of Valparaiso. Health authorities are inspecting restaurants in the area and examining food served in those restaurants for the presence of Listeria.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.