Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Food Safety Recall: Greencore USA (Cincinnati, OH) recalls Thornton’s Quick Café Chef Salad (5.6-oz plastic containers; Enjoy By date through 2/4/2012; Est. P-38518), because the salads were prepared using eggs that have been recalled due to potential contamination with Listeria monocytogenes. The recalled Chef Salad was sold at Thorntons stores in Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Ohio and Tennessee.
- Food Safety Recall: Allison’s Gourmet Kitchens (Moore, OK) recalls various prepared salads containing cooked eggs that were recalled by Michael Foods, Inc. due to potential contamination with Listeria monocytogenes. The recalled prepared salads were sold to retail stores and food service customers in Texas, Oklahoma, Alabama, Kansas, Illinois, Louisiana, Nebraska, South Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia, Pennsylvania, Florida, Tennessee and Missouri. Please see the recall notice for a detailed list of affected items, which were sold under the brand names Deli Fresh, Hill Country Fare, Brookshire’s, Allison’s Gourmet Kitchens, Food Lion, Bakers Kitchens, Dot Foods, Produce House, Hannaford Brothers, and Chef Prepared.
- Food Safety Recall: GH Foods SW (Houston, TX) recalls Fresh Garden Highway Cobb Salad (7.5-oz plastic containers; Sell By dates through 2/6/2012), because the salads were prepared using eggs that have been recalled due to potential contamination with Listeria monocytogenes. The recalled Cobb Salads were sold at Kroger Stores in Texas.
- Pharmaceutical Product Safety Recall: Bedford Laboratories (Bedford, OH) recalls Acetylcysteine Solution, USP (Manufactured for Roxane Laboratories, Inc.) 20% (30mL/vial; Lot 1877093; Exp. June 2013), after a glass particle was found in a single vial.
- Pharmaceutical Product Safety Alert: Pedinol Pharmacal Inc. announces health advisory for Gris-PEG (griseofulvin ultramicrosize) 125mg and 250mg, which was packaged for Pedinol by Novartis Consumer Health in Lincoln, Nebraska. Pedinol advises healthcare professionals, pharmacists and patients that, due to problems occurring when the Gris-PEG was packaged and labeled, tablets from one product type may have carried over into packaging of another product. This could result in a stray pill of one medicine ending up in the bottle of another product. Please navigate to the Pedinol site for detailed information on how to correctly identify Gris-PEG 125mg and 250mg tablets.
- Outbreak Alert Update: The number of people sickened by Campylobacter after drinking raw milk from The Family Cow dairy farm has risen to 35 confirmed cases in Pennsylvania (28), Maryland (4) and New Jersey (1), according to a report released by the Pennsylvania Department of Health. Maryland has found the pathogen in two bottles of raw milk produced at the farm. The Family Cow dairy farm voluntarily suspended sale of milk on January 31st, and health departments are advising consumers to discard any raw milk purchased from the dairy since January 1, 2012.
- Outbreak Alert: The South Dakota Department of Health is investigating an outbreak of diarrhea – suspected to be food-related – linked to a Tuesday evening boys’ high school basketball game in Pierre.
- Outbreak Alert: South Carolina health officials are investigating a suspected norovirus outbreak at the Lila Doyle Rehabilitation and Nursing Care Facility in Oconee County. The nursing home, which has been closed to new admissions until the outbreak has been contained, is owned and operated by the Oconee Medical Center.
- Food Safety Recall: Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd. recalls Kirkland Signature Banana Loaves, Red Velvet Cupcakes, and Mix and Match Muffins (Best before February 4th, 2012), because the products may contain pieces of white plastic. The recalled baked goods were produced in the East Winnipeg Costco warehouse between January 31st and February 1st, 2012 inclusive. Baked goods produced at other Costco locations are not affected by this recall.
- Food Safety Recall: New Horizon Co-Operative Ltd. recalls Co-op Lean Ground Beef Ground from Canadian Trim (various weight packages; Packed JA 11, 12) due to contamination with unspecified extraneous matter. The recalled ground beef was distributed in Alberta.
- Dietary Supplement Safety Recall (Spain): Spain orders the recall of Male Tonic Enhancer Extra Strong 6 Herbal Capsules, due to the presence in the product of undeclared pharmacologically active ingredients hydroxyhomotiosildenafil and hydroxyhomosildenafil.
- Outbreak Alert: Victoria Hospital (Kirkcaldy) has closed one ward to new admissions and transfers after another outbreak of norovirus.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0170): Listeria monocytogenes in quorn escalope with mozzarella and pesto manufactured in the United Kingdom and packaged in Switzerland; distributed to Switzerland.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0171): Oxamyl in cucumbers from Lebanon, via Switzerland; distributed to France.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0172): Glyphosate in lentils from Canada; distributed to the Czech Republic.
- Animal Feed Safety Notification (EU #2012.0173): Salmonella Amsterdam in organic soybean expeller from India, via Canada; distributed to Sweden.
- Animal Feed Safety Notification (EU #2012.0174): Salmonella enterica in rapeseed meal from Poland, via Germany; distributed to Sweden.
- Animal Feed Safety Notification (EU #2012.0175): Salmonella Agona and Salmonella Senftenberg in rapeseed meal from Poland, via Germany; distributed to Sweden.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0177): Procymidone in fresh cucumber from Jordan; distributed to Sweden.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Outbreak Alert (Myanmar): More than 30 children at the Pajau Refugee Camp in Kachin have contracted cholera and one child has died., according to workers with the Relief Action Network for IDP and Refugees. Children and the elderly in other camps along the Sino-Burmese border also have been affected. The refugee camps lack both adequate safe drinking water and toilet facilities. The total number of people suffering from cholera is not known.
- Outbreak Alert (Angola): The municipality of Massangano Cambambe has been hit with an outbreak of cholera-like diarrheal illness. Thirteen people were hospitalized.
Australia and New Zealand
- Drinking Water Safety Alert (Australia): Residents of Warra (Queensland) have been directed to boil water after E. coli was detected in the drinking water supply.
Latin America and the Caribbean
- Food Safety Enforcement Action (Argentina): The Servicio Nacional de Sanidad y Calidad y Calidad Agroalimentaria ordered the seizure and destruction of 1,340 kilograms of ham in San Fernando (Buenos Aires Province), after determining that the package labels were counterfeit, rendering the products unfit for human consumption.
- Outbreak Alert (Mexico): Health authorities have quarantined two schools in Altamira (Tamaulipas), after two cases of hepatitis A were confirmed. Additional cases are under investigation.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.