Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Allergy Alert: S&M USA Enterprise recalls ZHANG ZHOU BRAND TREMELLA (150g plastic bag; Product of China), due to the presence of undeclared sulfites. The recalled product was sold in New York and New Jersey.
- Food Safety Recall: W & C International Import Inc. recalls Rely Sardine Anchovies (7-oz plastic packages; Product of China) and Rely Dried Yellow Croaker (bulk cartons; Product of China), because the products were not properly eviscerated prior to processing and represent a heightened risk of Clostridium botulinum contamination.
- Food Safety Recall: Wegmans Foods Markets, Inc. recalls Hard-Cooked Eggs, and several prepared foods that contain hard-cooked eggs (sold at Wegmans’ Rochester, Buffalo, Syracuse, Canandaigua, Newark, Geneva, Corning, Elmira, Geneseo, and Hornell stores between January 23 and February 1, 2012), because the eggs may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes and were recalled by Michael Foods, Inc. The following items are included in this recall notice: Hard-Cooked Eggs (sold by the pound in prepared foods or as a choice on the Fresh Foods Bar), Eggs (special-order deli tray or 6-pack, 12 pack), Cobb Salad (10 oz, 43 oz, and 6.5 lb), Garden Salad (10 oz, 20 oz, 2 lb, and 5 lb), Baby Spinach Salad (9 oz, 1.8 lb, and 3.9 lb), Chef Salad (9 oz. and 18 oz.), Egg Salad (sold by the pound in prepared foods), Egg Salad Sub (Sub Shop), Kosher Macaroni Salad (sold by the pound in kosher deli), and Kosher Pickled Eggs (sold by the pound in kosher deli).
- Food Safety Recall Update: ShopRite reminds consumers that ShopRite of Stanton (1600 West Newport Pike, Wilmington, DE) recalled store-made ground beef (80/20 and 85/15; various packages sizes; Sell by January 22, 2012), because the product may pieces of blue glove. Customers are asked to check their freezers and return any of the recalled meat to the store.
- Pet Food Safety Recall Update: Advanced Animal Nutrition updates its December 13, 2011 notice alerting consumers to the recall of Dog Power Dog Foods to correct the affected lot numbers. The affected products were manufactured between Jan 4, 2011 and Nov. 18, 2011 and can be identified by lot numbers 4K1004 through 4K1322. The recalled products were distributed in Missouri, Arkansas and Louisiana.
- Outbreak Alert Update: The Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene has confirmed the presence of Campylobacter jejuni in two unopened samples of raw milk purchased from The Family Cow farm. Maryland has reported 4 confirmed cases of Campylobacter illnesses linked to the consumption of raw milk from this Pennsylvania farm, and Pennsylvania has confirmed 19 cases.
- Outbreak Alert: CDC and the Pennsylvania State Health Department are cooperating in an ongoing investigation of human Salmonella enterica serotype Paratyphi B var. L (+) tartrate + infections associated with pet turtle exposures.
- Allergy Alert: JB’s Sausage Making Supplies Ltd. recalls various flavors of marinades due to the presence of undeclared soy or wheat. Please refer to the recall notice for a complete list of affected products. The recalled items were distributed in Saskatchewan.
- Food Safety Recall Update: Phoenicia Group (St-Laurent, QC) updates its earlier recall notice to correct the lot codes. The company has recalled Alkanater brand Tahini (454g containers; UPC 6 92551 00002 0; Prod: 5/7/2011; Exp: 5/7/2013), due to possible contamination with Salmonella. The recalled product was distributed across Canada.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): Fredsted The A/S recalls Xtra brand Chamomile Tea (Boxes of 20 bags; Lot #889 and 1327; Best before 31/12-2012 and 30/4-2013, respectively), due to pesticide residues in excess of the permitted limit.
- Outbreak Alert (France): Consumption of dried pork sausage was linked to a nationwide outbreak of Salmonella enterica serotype 4,,12:I:- in November and December 2011. In all, 337 outbreak cases were identified.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0163): Insect infestation in dried figs from Turkey; distributed to Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0164): Dead insects in frozen spinach leaves from Belgium; distributed to Greece.
- Dietary Supplement Safety Notification (EU# 2012.0165): Unauthorized tadalafil in food supplement from Norway; distributed to Andorra, France, Portugal and Spain.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0166): Ethephon in seedless grapes from South Africa, via Belgium; distributed to Germany.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0167): Metal fragments in chocolate pralines from Italy; distributed to Italy and Switzerland.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0168): Listeria monocytogenes in crab bread from France; distributed to France and Spain.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Pharmaceutical Product Safety Recall (Hong Kong): Allways (Germany) Medicine Ltd. recalls the pharmaceutical products Centiplex-B Tab and Abacod Cod Liver Oil Cap, as the products bear unapproved labels.
- Food Safety Alert (Philippines): The Department of Health has announced a shellfish ban in the waters of Wawa, Bani in Pangasinan, in addition to already announced bans in Dumanquillas Bay, Murcielagos Bay, Masinloc Bay, Matarino Bay, and in Bataan costal waters of Mariveles, Limay, Orlon, Pilar, Balanga, Orani, Abucay and Samal. The ban were triggered by the finding of paralytic shellfish poison in excess of the regulatory limit.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.