Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Allergy Alert: How Sweet It Is Fudge and Candy Company Inc. (East Lansing, MI) recalls Peanut Butter Buckeye and Peanut Butter Smoothie (7″x7″x2″ box; All date codes 01/23/2012 and earlier), due to the presence of undeclared milk. The recalled products were distributed to wholesale distributors, service stations and convenience stores in Michigan, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Tennessee, Indiana, Virginia and New York from December 1, 2011 to January 23, 2012.
- Allergy Alert: President Global Corp (Buena Park, CA) recalls Bin-Bin Snow Rice Crackers (5.3 oz/150g; All codes) and Bin-Bin Rice Crackers (15.8 oz/450g; All codes), due to the presence of undeclared egg. The recalled products were distributed to grocery stores nationwide between January 1, 2011 and January 31, 2012.
- Food Safety Recall: Michael Foods, Inc. recalls Hard-Cooked Eggs Packed in Brine (10-lb and 25-lb pails for institutional use; Lot codes 1 LOT 1350W through 1 LOT 2025W (only codes immediately preceded by “1” and ending in “W” are affected); Expiration dates from 1/30/2012 to 3/10/2012), because the product may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes. The recalled eggs were produced at Michael’s Wakefield, Nebraska facility and purchased by food distributors and manufacturers in 34 states – AL, AR, AZ, CA, CO, FL, GA, IA, IL, IN, KS, KY, LA, MI, MN, MO, MS, MT, NC, ND, NE, NJ, NV, OH, OK, OR, PA, SC, TN, TX, UT, WA, WI, and WV – and are sold under the brand names Columbia Valley Farms, GFS, Glenview Farms, Papetti’s, Silverbrook, and Wholesome Farms. None of the eggs were sold directly to consumers or retailers; however, some of the eggs may have been used in products that were sold to retailers or used in food service settings.
- Pharmaceutical Product Safety Recall: Pfizer Inc. recalls 14 lots each of Lo/Ovral®-28 (norgestrel and ethinyl estradiol) Tablets and Norgestrel and Ethinyl Estradiol Tablets (generic) after the company determined that some packs may contain an inexact count of inert or active ingredient tablets and that the tablets may be out of sequence. Please refer to the recall notice and to Pfizer’s Statement for additional information, including a list of the affected production lots.
- Food Recall/Withdrawal: Food City reports the recall/withdrawal of Borden Applewood Bacon Cheddar Singles Sensations Cheese Slices (8 oz). No additional details are given.
- Food Withdrawal: Kraft Foods withdraws Tassimo Gevalia Cappuccino Espresso T Disc (14.72 oz; UPC 4300001322), due to “relatively rare” consumer reports of hot liquid or coffee grounds spraying from the brewers when these T Discs are used.
- Outbreak Alert Update: CDC issues its Final Investigation Update into an outbreak of Salmonella Typhimurium linked to ground beef from Hannaford Supermarkets. In all, 20 illnesses were confirmed in seven states.
- Outbreak Alert Update: The Patriot-News reports that the Campylobacter outbreak believed to be linked to consumption of raw milk from The Family Cow dairy has grow to 20 people, including 16 from Pennsylvania and 4 from neighboring Maryland.
- Outbreak Alert: The Maine Center for Disease Control and Prevention has received and investigated 16 reports of gastroenteritis outbreaks since the end of December 2011. One of those was confirmed to be due to Norovirus Genotype II.
- Outbreak Alert: The North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services has received multiple reports of norovirus outbreaks from several local health departments across the state during January.
- Outbreak Alert: The Lake County (Illinois) Health Department has logged nine outbreaks of norovirus illness since the beginning of 2012. Eight of the outbreaks were in long-term care facilities, and one was in a day-care facility, according to the Chicago Tribune.
- Outbreak Alert: St. Ignatius College Preparatory School (San Francisco, CA) was closed for cleaning after 50 students called in sick with an outbreak of “stomach flu” last week.
- Allergy Alert: Canada Six Fortune Enterprise Co. Ltd. recalls Bin Bin brand Snow Rice Crackers (150g; UPC 8 852098 700124), due to the presence of undeclared egg. The product was distributed in British Columbia, Alberta and Manitoba, and may have been distributed nationally.
- Food Safety Recall: Phoenicia Group (St-Laurent, QC) recalls Alkanater brand Tahina (454g; UPC 6 92551 00002 0; Exp. 5/7/2013 (May 7, 2013)), because the product may be contaminated with Salmonella. The recalled product was distributed nationally.
- Pet Food Safety Recall: Tri-V Pet Foods Ltd. (Chilliwack, BC) recalls Lean Cuts Dog Food (24/400g; Production code T22L1; Costco Item #21246), because of swelling of the can lids and a concern in the production process. The affected cans of pet food were sold between December 30, 2011 and January 29, 2012 at British Columbia Costco locations in Richmond, Abbotsford, Nanaimo, Courtney, Kelowna, Prince George and Kamloops.
- Outbreak Alert: A third patient at the Greater Niagara General Hospital has died after contracting Clostridium difficile while undergoing treatment in the hospital. The victim had multiple health issues, and also tested positive for hospital-associated C. difficile.
- Outbreak Alert Update (Russia): Doctors have confirmed an additional eight cases of salmonellosis among children and employees of the Kolosok kindergarden, bringing the total number of outbreak victims to 17. Six children were hospitalized.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0160): Fenthion in peaches from Australia, via France; distributed to Sweden.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0161): Defective packaging of Serrano ham from Spain; distributed to Denmark.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0162): Suspicion of fraud in relation to horse carcass from Denmark; distributed to Denmark.
Australia and New Zealand
- Outbreak Alert (Australia): The Flying Fox Park in Winnererremy Bay (NSW) has been closed for a third time in six months, because a child was diagnosed with a Salmonella Java infection after playing in the park. New South Wales Health has recovered Salmonella Java in two out of eight samples taken from the playground’s bark soft fall material in the climbing net area.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.