Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Allergy Alert: J&B Group, Inc. (St. Michael, MN) recalls Ellison Meat Company Beef Sirloin Top Butt Steak, Cap Off, No Roll, Marinated (10.5-lb case/28 x 6 oz; Case Code 62149; Est #15805; Produced between Jan 1, 2011 and September 7, 2011) and Ellison Meat Company Beef Sirloin Top Butt Steak Cap Off / Tenderized with Ficin & Bromelain (1-lb cases/16 x 10 oz; Case code 62151; Est #15805; Produced between Jan 1, 2011 and September 7, 2011), due misbranding and to the presence of undeclared milk. The recalled beef sirloin products were supplied for institutional use in Montana, North Dakota and Texas.
- Allergy Alert: Giant Eagle recalls Prepared Foods Small Mashed Potato Side Dish, Large Mashed Potato Side Dish, and Mashed Potatoes GNG (all batches), because the prepared foods may contain undeclared soy.
- Food Safety Recall: 18th Street Deli Inc. (Hamtramck, MI) recalls 18th Street Deli Julienne Salad, 18th Street Deli Julienne Salad Lite and Balanced Choice Julienne Salad Lite (Est #P-22061; Expiration dates 01/20/12 and 01/30/12), after it was notified by a supplier that their hard-cooked eggs had tested positive for Listeria monocytogenes, and were being recalled by Michael Foods Egg Products Co. The recalled salad products were produced on Jan. 20, 2012 and distributed to retail stores in Michigan and to vending companies in Indiana, Michigan and Ohio.
- Food Safety Recall: Michael Foods Inc. (Minnetonka, MN) recalls Papetti’s Brand Hard-Cooked Eggs (25-lb tubs; Lot codes 1362W, 1363W, and 1364W; Use by dates of February 11th, 12th, and 13th, 2012), due to possible contamination with Listeria monocytogenes. The recalled products were distributed to the food service sector during the second week of January, 2012.
- Outbreak Alert: The Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene reports six confirmed cases of Campylobacter infections – 3 in Maryland and 3 in Pennsylvania – associated with the consumption of raw milk from the Family Cow Dairy store in Chambersburg, PA. The Family Cow dairy sells directly to consumers at its on-farm retail store and at multiple drop-off locations and retail stores in Bucks, Cumberland, Dauphin, Delaware, Franklin, Lebanon, Montgomery, Philadephia and York counties in Pennsylvania.
- Outbreak Alert: The Nebraska Department of Health & Human Services and the New Hampshire Department of Health and Human Services advise the public that there has been a rise in the number of reported norovirus outbreaks since the beginning of the winter season.
- Allergy Alert: The Canadian Food Inspection Agency warns anyone with allergies to egg not to consume Bin Bin brand Snow Rice Crackers (150g pkgs; UPC 8 852098 700124; all lot/date codes), due to the presence of undeclared egg. The product has been distributed in British Columbia, Alberta, Manitoba, and possibly nationally. CFIA is working with importers to removed the product from the marketplace.
- Allergy Alert: Winners Merchants International LP recalls Jelly Belly Christmas Deluxe Mix (9-oz/255g pkgs; Best before DEC 01 2012; Product of USA), due to the presence of undeclared milk and wheat. The recall product was distributed across Canada.
- Allergy Alert: Pinnacle Foods Group LLC recalls certain Aunt Jemima® Frozen Pancakes (Recommended Use by Date between November 1, 2011 through October 16, 2012), due to the presence of undeclared soy. The following affected products were distributed nationally: Aunt Jemima Buttermilk Pancakes/Crêpes au babeurre (12/420g; UPC 6 9147955822 4), Aunt Jemima Homestyle Pancakes/Crêpes maison (12/420g; UPC 6 9147955912 2) and Aunt Jemima Whole Grain Pancakes/Crêpes grains entiers (12/410g; UPC 6 9147956040 1).
- Food Safety Recall (Belgium): Colruyt and OKay recall certain Topaz Ground Nutmeg products (100g, Lots PO18723 and PO17458; 500g, Lots PO18783 and PO17268) after finding levels of aflatoxin B1 that are slightly in excess of permitted levels.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.