Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Food Safety Enforcement Action: Mill Stream Corp (Hancock, ME) voluntarily destroys cold-smoked salmon after FDA orders administrative detention due to the presence of Listeria monocytogenes contamination within the firm’s facility and on processing equipment.
- Outbreak Alert: Catawba County Health Department (North Carolina) has received 40 reports of gastrointestinal illness since January 17th. All of the complainants ate at Conover’s Harbor Inn Seafood restaurant on January 13th.
- Food Safety Recall: Diabolissimo Inc (Montreal, QC) recalls several ready-to-eat products (500ml glass jars), because these temperature-sensitive products do not carry a “Garder réfrigéré/Keep refrigerated warning, and present a health risk if they are not kept at refrigeration temperature.
- Food Safety Recall: Krinos Foods Canada recalls Krinos Bulgarian White Sheep’s Milk Cheese (1 kg; Code L. May 2011; Best before November 2012), for unnamed reasons.
- Dietary Supplement Safety Alert: Health Canada advises consumers not to use a number of weight loss products, which have been identified by FDA as potentially hazardous.
- Food Safety Recall (France): Société AR Industrie Alimentari recalls Carrefour Purée de Tomates en Bocal/Tomato puree in jars (690mL; Lot #CO2 LE 041; Best before 31.12.2013), due to possible contamination with glass particles.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): Solhjulet recalls Organic Dried Beans (5kg and 25kg bags; Best before 01-05-2013; Product of Uganda), due to the presence of residues of the pesticide malathion.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): Arla Foods amba recalls several flavors of yoghurt beverages due to mold contamination. Please refer to the recall notice for a list of affected products.
- Food Safety Enforcement Action (Greece): EFET seizes unfit food from Spata after receiving a citizen complaint. Many of the foods had past their expiration dates, and the foods were being stored under inappropriate and insanitary conditions.
- Dietary Supplement Safety Notification (EU #2012.0125): Unauthorized octopamine hydrochloride in fat burning diet supplement from the USA; distributed to Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0127): Benzo(a)pyrene in roasted organic argan oil from Morocco; distributed to France and Germany.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0128): Salmonella Arizonae in frozen minced lamb from Ireland; distributed to Ireland, the Isle of Man, Spain and the United Kingdom.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1030): Mercury in dried boletus from Poland; distributed to Denmark, Poland, Sweden and the United Kingdom.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Outbreak Alert (Zimbabwe): A fresh outbreak of typhoid fever in Harare has been blamed on the consumption of fish from a polluted lake on the outskirts of the Zimbabwe’s capital city. Approximately 600 Harare residents have been affected, including a person working in a city hotel. Ninety people have been hospitalized in the last few days.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.