Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Consumer Product Safety Recall: Lee Carter Co. (San Francisco, CA) recalls Super Luchamania Action Figures (Manufactured in Mexico; sold from June 2000 through October 2011), because the surface paint on the figures contains excessive levels of lead.
- Outbreak Alert: The Iowa Department of Public Health advises the public that reports of norovirus outbreaks have been increasing in recent weeks.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Blount Seafood Corporation (Fall River, MA) that a November/December 2011 inspection of the company’s seafood processing facility revealedserious violations of the seafood Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) regulation, Title 21, Code of Federal Regulations, Part 123, and the Current Good Manufacturing Practice regulation for foods.
- Consumer Product Safety Recall: Deejay Jewellery Inc. (Montreal, QC) recalls various Impulse! & Co. and Party Princess Children’s Jewellery (Manufactured in China; sold in Canada from January 2005 to December 2011), because the recalled items may contain lead in excess of the allowable limits and may contain cadmium in excess of guidance levels proposed recently by Health Canada.
- Allergy Alert (France): Société Soufflet Alimentaire recalls Carrefour brand Fusilli Pesto (200g Doypack; Lot #2 E355; Best before 12/2012), due to the presence of undeclared traces of peanuts.
- Food Safety Recall (UK): Iceland recalls Frozen Lamb Mince (454g; Best before 11 October 2012), because the product may be contaminated with Salmonella.
- Food Safety Recall (Ireland): Wicklow Farmhouse Cheese Ltd. recalls Wicklow Blue Irish Farmhouse Cheese “mild creamy blue-veined brie cheese” (150g; Batch #11326B; Best before 31/01/2012), due to the detection of a high level of Listeria monocytogenes.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): Gert Nielsen recalls “Rørt Fars” (Produced 17.01.12; Best before 18.01.12), due to Salmonella contamination. The recalled product was supplied to caterers and canteens east of the Great Belt.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0124): Escherichia coli in mussels from Italy, with raw material from Spain; distributed to Italy.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Food Safety Alert (Israel): The Ministry of Health warns the public not to purchase or consume Power Coffee (Manufactured in China; Marketed by MM Marketing and Distribution Limited), after lab tests detected the presence of the pharmacologically active ingredient hydroxythiohomosildenafil, an analogue of the active agent in the prescription drug Viagra.
- Food Safety Enforcement Action (Israel): The Tel Aviv District Health Office has ordered the closing of the Carmel Food Industries manufacturing plant in Bat Yam, after the plant was found to be operating under poor sanitary conditions and without a business license. The company is suspected of manufacturing fake olive oil, honey and other food products.
- Outbreak Alert (Zimbabwe): The Washington Post reports that more than 660 people have been treated for typhoid in Harare, Zimbabwe since November 2011. The outbreak appears to be waning.
Australia and New Zealand
- Dietary Supplement Safety Alert (Australia): The Therapeutic Goods Administration warns Australians that Miraculous Evil Root Tablets are illegal in Australia, as they contain elevated levels of the undeclared prescription drug sildenafil (active ingredient in Viagra).
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.