Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Food Safety Recall: Jones’ Seasoning Blends LLC (University Place, WA) recalls Jones’ Mock Salt Original: Organic Salt Free Seasoning (1.6-oz bottles, 12-oz bags, and 16-oz bags) and Jones’ Mock Salt Spicy Southwest Blend: Organic Salt Free Seasoning (1.6-oz bottles), after the supplier of the celery seeds used in the Jones’ seasonings recalled their celery seeds due to possible Salmonella contamination. The recalled Jones’ products were distributed directly to grocery stores and markets in California, Minnesota and Washington, and were sold over the internet on the http://www.jonesmocksalt.com web site. The recall affects all products purchased from July 1, 2011 to December 14, 2011. (NOTE: This probably relates to the recall of celery seeds announced on December 14, 2011 by Starwest Botanicals)
- Allergy Alert: Earthly Goodness recalls Earthly Goodness Golden Apple Nut Free Organic Bar (47g; All codes), due to the presence of undeclared tree nuts. The recalled products were sold through retailer in Ontario.
- Food Safety Recall (Finland): Gunnar Dafgård Ab recalls Enebacken Kvalitet & Smak Meatballs (1kg pkgs; Best before 02/02/2012 and 03/02/2012), due to contamination with Listeria monocytogenes.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): Lidl Denmark K/S recalls Freshona whole mushrooms (400g cans; Best before 31.12.2014), due to swelling of the cans, indicating possible bacterial growth due to inadequate heat treatment during manufacture.
- Contact Lens Safety Recall (France): Johnson & Johnson Vision Care recalls Acuvue Oasys contact lenses (Lot #001RJ5, L001RJ8 and L001RJ9), due to a residual of diluent on the lenses that exceeds manufacturing standards. Consumers are urged to stop wearing the recalled lenses and to return them to the pharmacy for an exchange.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0113): Methidathion in honey pomeloes from China, via the Netherlands; distributed to Germany.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0114): Bulging cans containing Freshona brand whole mushrooms from Poland; distributed to Austria, Cyprus, Denmark, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Portugal, Spain and Switzerland.
- Food Supplement Safety Notification (EU #2012.0115): Excessive vitamin D in vitamin D drops from Belgium; distributed to the Netherlands.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0116): Aflatoxins in raw milk from Hungary; distributed to Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0121): Prohibited nitrofurazone in honey from New Zealand; distributed to the United Kingdom.
Australia and New Zealand
- Food Safety Recall (Australia): Gippsland Sprout Co. recalls Gippsland Sprout Co. Salad – Alfalfa, Onion and Mung Bean mix (120g plastic clam shell-shaped package; Use by 23 Jan), and Flowerdale Farm Alfalfa Salad Sprouts – Alfalfa, Onion and Mung Bean mix (120g plastic clam shell-shaped package; Use by 23 Jan0, due to contamination with E. coli. The recalled sprouts were distributed at the Melbourne Wholesale Fruit & Vegetable Market (Footscray), small grocery stores, and green grocers in Victoria only.
Latin America and the Caribbean
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0119): Insect larvae infestation of dried mushrooms from Romania, packaged in Italy; distributed to Brazil and the Dominican Republic.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.