Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Food Safety Recall: Price Chopper recalls Price Chopper Coyote Joe’s Taco Cheese (16-oz; Expiration April 21, 2012), due to the potential presence of plastic fragments.
- Food Safety Enforcement Action: The Missouri Department of Agriculture has temporarily halted custom exempt processing operations at B & C Processing (Linn, MO) due to unsanitary practices. The exemption will remain suspended until completion of a satisfactory inspection.
- Consumer Product Safety Recall: California Innovations Inc. (Toronto, Canada) recalls Expandable Insulated Lunch Box with Freezer Gel Pack, because gel that contains diethylene glycol and ethylene glycol can leak out of damaged freezer gel packs, posing a poisoning hazard if ingested. The company has received two separate reports of a dog chewing and ingesting gel from the gel pack. One of the two dogs died; the other has recovered. The recalled Lunch Boxes were manufactured in China and sold at Costco Wholesale Clubs, Leon Korol and Cost U Less stores between May 2007 and September 2008.
- Food Safety Recall: Frisia Dairy & Creamery LLC (Tenino, WA) recalls retail raw milk products due to contamination with a toxin-producting E. coli, according to a report from My Fox Spokane.
- Food Recall: Bi-Lo recalls La Feria Sabor Flour Tortillas (8-inch; 10-count; Item code 330640; Lot codes March 12 through March 25) and La Comadre Flour Tortillas (8-inch; 10-count; Item code 333230; Lot codes March 12 through March 25) for unspecified quality issues.
- Outbreak Alert: Fifty-eight employees of a Zappos warehouse in Shepherdsville, Kentucky developed gastroenteritis after consuming catered food at work. Clinical specimens yielded cultures of Bacillus cereus.
- Allergy Alert: Tasty Enterprises recalls its own brand of Honeydew Powder, Papaya Powder, Pineapple Powder, Lychee Powder, Coffee 2 in 1 Powder, Almond Powder, Coconut Powder, Peach Powder and Green Tea Powder (1kg; no lot codes; no UPC), due to the presence of undeclared milk. The recalled products were distributed to hotels, restaurants and institutions in Ontario.
- Allergy Alert: Dynamic Chocolates Inc. recalls House of Brussels Chocolates Hedgehogs – Filled with Creamy Hazelnut Truffle (4 x 230g; All codes; UPC 0 65082 05274 3), due to the presence of undeclared tree nuts. The recalled chocolates were distributed through retailers nationally.
- Allergy Alert (UK): UK Snacks Ltd. recalls Giants ‘Just Fruit’ Mixed Dried Fruit (300g; Batch code D228; Best before end July 2012), due to the presence of undeclared sulphites.
- Allergy Alert (Ireland): Food Safety Authority of Ireland warns that Uno Pol Tarnow, Paleczki Kukurydziane”/‘Sweet Corn Fingers’ Crisps (70g; Best before date 31/03/2012; Batch 2012.03.31) may be unsafe for consumers who are allergic to gluten, because the specified batch contains undeclared gluten.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): Defco A/S recalls Silk Cut Beef Pastrami/ Oksepastrami (80g; Package Date 09.01.2012; Best before 01.02.2012), after the remains of an aluminum clip were found in the product.
- Food Safety Withdrawal (Denmark): Jan Import A/S withdraws Sun Island Pine Medium Pine Nuts (1kg; Best before 16.02.13/Lot #9604-1 and 9604-2; Best before 02.05.13/Lot #9813-1 and 9813-2), because the nuts may cause a temporary loss or change of taste in some consumers.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.