Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Allergy Alert: Rexall, Inc. (Deerfield Beach, FL) recalls Rexall Calcium 1200mg plus 1000IU Vitamin D3 (60 softgels; UPC 3 01220 45211 3; Expiration 08/15; Lot #387651-04), due to the presence of undeclared shellfish. The affected bottles actually contain Triple Strength Glucosamine Chondroitin and MSM Tablets. The recalled product was distributed only to Dollar General, which has stores in 38 states.
- Allergy Alert Update: Ryt-way Industries LLC recalls BIGS® Dill Pickle Sunflower Seeds (5.35-oz plastic bags; Best by dates of 08DEC2012 and 09DEC2012), because the product contains undeclared soy. The recalled product was distributed nationwide through supermarkets, convenience stores and U.S. military commissaries.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns S W Seafood, Inc. (Brooklyn, NY) that a December 2011 inspection of the company’s seafood processing facility revealed serious violations of the seafood Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point regulation.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns BEK Catering LLC dba Floppers Food (Loxley, AL) that a September 2011 inspection of the company’s seafood processing facility revealed serious violations of the seafood Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point regulation and the Current Good Manufacturing Practice regulation for foods.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Wagner Provisions Company, Inc. (Gibbstown, NJ) that a September 2011 inspection of the company’s facility revealed significant violations relating to the processing of acidified food products, including repeat violations that were noted during a September 2010 inspection.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Triple D Orchards, Inc. (Empire, MI) that an August-September 2011 inspection of the company’s juice processing facility revealed serious deviations from the juice Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point regulation and the Current Good Manufacturing Practice regulation for foods.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns San-J International, Inc. (Richmond, VA) that an August-September 2011 inspection of the company’s facility revealed violations of Title 21, Code of Federal Regulations (CFR), Part 108, Emergency Permit Control (21 CFR 108); Part 110, Current Good Manufacturing Practice in Manufacturing (CGMP), Packing, Or Holding Human Food (21 CFR 110); and Part 114, Acidified Foods (21 CFR 114).
- Allergy Alert: Dynamic Chocolates (Delta, BC) recalls House of Brussels Hedgehogs (230g; Costco Item #239336; sold between September 1, 2011 and January 16, 2012), due to the presence of undeclared walnut meal. The product was sold at Costco Wholesale stores in Western Canada.
- Allergy Alert: T&T Supermarket Inc. recalls Kingo KG Sliced Mushroom (227g; Best before 12-SE-30) due to the presence of undeclared sulphites. The recalled sliced mushrooms were distributed in Alberta, British Columbia and Ontario.
- Allergy Alert: Haugen-Gruppen Ltd recalls Indian Tortilla Chips Original (500g; Best before 5/9/2012), due to the presence of undeclared wheat.
- Food Safety Recall (France): Auchan recalls Auchan Croquettes de Poisson Surgelées a l’Ail et aux Fines Herbes (pkg of 20; Best if used by end October 2012), because some of the packages may contain fine metal filaments.
- Food Safety Recall (UK): Wm Morrison Supermarkets plc recalls all batches of the following smoked mackerel products due to a processing error that may result in the products being undercooked: Morrisons Smoked Scottish Mackerel fillets (tray pack), Morrisons Smoked Mackerel fillets with lemon and parsley (tray pack), Morrisons Smoked Peppered Mackerel fillets (tray pack), Morrisons Mexicana Smoked Mackerel fillets (tray pack), and Morrisons Smoked Scottish Mackerel (vacuum pack).
- Pharmaceutical Product Safety Recall (UK): Accord Healthcare Limited recalls Amoxicillin 500mg Capsules (Batch #MP11202; Expiry August 2014; First distributed 3 January 2012), because the blister foil in some packs is incorrectly labelled as Amoxicillin 250mg.
- Pharmaceutical Product Safety Recall (France): Le laboratoire CIS BIO International recalls Norcholestérol iodé solution for injection (Lot C002; Expiry date 24 Janvier 2012), following an unsatisfactory sterility test result.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0077): Excessive sulphite in dried fruits mix from Lithuania; distributed to Finland.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0084): Dimethoate in oranges from Portugal; distributed to Denmark.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0089): Metal pieces in fish croquettes with garlic and herbs from Germany; distributed to France.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0091): Listeria monocytogenes in black pudding from Poland; distributed to France.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0093): Mycotoxins in raw milk from Slovenia; distributed to Italy.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Pharmaceutical Product Safety Recall (Hong Kong): The International Medical Co. Ltd. recalls Allopurinol-Teva tablets, 100mg (Batch #1580211), after black substances were found on some tablets in two blisters of the product. The affected batch was manufactered by Teva Pharmaceutical Works Private Ltd Co in Hungary.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.