Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Allergy Alert: Blount Fine Foods (Fall River, MA) recalls Blount Fine Foods Rip Roarin’ Crab Soup (16-oz cup; Lot #1202117D; Use or Freeze By 2/10/2012), due to the presence of undeclared milk, wheat and crab. The product was distributed to certain Whole Foods Market stores on the US Eastern Coast.
- Allergy Alert: Sourdough Mining Co. recalls Alaska Sourdough’s Hot Buttered Rum Batter (16-oz containers; Package code 11/25/11; Sell by 4/23/12), due to the presence of undeclared milk. The product was distributed only to food retailers in Alaska.
- Outbreak Alert Final Update: CDC reports that a total of 190 individuals were infected with Salmonella Typhimurium as a result of having consumed Kosher Broiled Chicken Livers produced by Schreiber Processing Corporation. The illnesses were reported from six states – New York (109), New Jersey (62), Pennsylvania (10), Maryland (6), Ohio (2), and Minnesota (1).
- Allergy Alert: Whole Foods Market (Toronto, ON) recalls Whole Foods Market Dairy Free Choc. Cup (4-pack; 300g), Whole Foods Market Dairy Free Chocolate Cake (600g), Whole Foods Market Dairy Free Orange Poppy Cake (300g) and Whole Foods Market Dairy Free Orange Poppy Cup (4-pack; 300g), because the products may contain undeclared milk. The recalled products were sold at Whole Foods Market stores in Mississauga (155 Square One Drive), Oakville (301 Cornwall Road), and Toronto (87 Avenue Road), Ontario.
- Food Safety Recall: Pantry Shelf Food Corp recalls Pantry Shelf Sliced Water Chestnuts (2.84L (Code 566 824 1; PRO 2010 03 30 4500/01053), due to microbiological contamination. The recalled products were distributed in Quebec and Ontario through retail stores.
- Food Safety Recall: Viandes Giroux Inc. recalls an unspecified product due to contamination with E. coli O157:H7. The recalled product was distributed in the province of Quebec. No further details are available on the CFIA web site at this time.
- Food Safety Alert/Enforcement Action (Finland): EVIRA has banned meat, raw meat and meat products from Agali Oy due to deficiencies in the meat company’s operations. According to EVIRA, there is reason to believe that the company’s safety and hygienic quality are deficient. In addition, inaccuracies have been found in traceability, labeling, food storage and handling conditions. Affected products are marked with the name Agali and may also bear the identification mark EN 6282 EC and the batch identification AGO180. Please refer to the EVIRA notice for additional details.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): Solhjulet recalls Organic Dried Beans (Product of Uganda; 500g bags; Best before 30-12-2012), due to residues of the pesticide malathion.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Food Safety Advisory (China): A pair of 4-month old Chinese twins became ill with severe intestinal symptoms after weeks of consuming Synutra powdered milk formula products. One of the babies died from dehydration on January 7, 2012. The other has recovered. The Chairman and CEO of Synutra International has stated the company’s firm belief that the illnesses were an isolated incident and completely unrelated to Synutra’s products. No recall has been announced.
- Chinese Medicine Safety Alert (Hong Kong): The Department of Health advises the public not to buy or consume TangBaoKouFuYiDaoSuJiaoNang, which has been found to contain three undeclared Western drugs, including metformin, glibenclamide and phenformin (banned in Hong Kong).
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.