Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Allergy Alert: D.F. Stauffer Biscuit Co., Inc. recalls Safeway Snack Artist Sugar Free Bite-Sized Chocolate Chip Cookies (10-oz clear plastic tubs; Lot #L07112B; Best By date of 07-11-12), due to the presence of undeclared eggs and milk. The recalled cookies were sold in Safeway, Carrs, Dominick’s, Genuardi’s, Pack ‘N Save, Pavillions, Randalls, Tom Thumb and Vons stores nationwide.
- Food Safety Recall: Zip International Group LLC (Edison, NJ) recalls Sliced Herring – Forelka (330g and 600g plastic containers; Product of Ukraine; Best before 03/06/2012), due to Listeria monocytogenes contamination. The recalled product was sold in the New York Metropolitan Area.
- Cosmetic Product Safety Recall: Himalaya USA recalls Organique Nourishing Night Cream (100mL pump cylinder; UPC 605069200196; Batch codes S691001 and S691002), due to contamination with Staphylococcus aureus and fungus in Batch #S691001. The recalled products were imported from the USA by Peak Performance Products Inc. (Etobicoke, ON) and sold in Canada from January 21, 2011 to January 3, 2012.
- Allergy Alert (UK): Waitrose withdraws Waitrose Essential Salmon and Dill Fishcakes (170g; All date codes), due to the presence of low levels of mustard, which is not declared on the product label.
- Food Safety Recall (Germany): METRO Cash & Carry recalls Tapas Trio Espanol, sliced (150g; Best before 01.02.2012 and thereafter), Chorizo sausage tapas Vela Loncheado sliced (80g and 200g; Best before 01.02.2012 and thereafter), Tapas Serrano ham, sliced (80g and 300g; Best before 01.02.2012 and thereafter) and Tapas Serrano Reserva (1/4 pcs (approx 1000g) and 1/2 pieces (approx 2200g); Best before 01.02.2012 and thereafter), due to contamination with Listeria monocytogenes. The recalled products were manufactured by Grupo Alimentario Argal SA Ctra (Spain) and were sold in METRO Cash & Carry stores.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0047): Ochratoxin A in wheat snack from Poland; distributed to Poland.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0049): Mercury in chilled swordfish from Spain; distributed to France.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0050): Aflatoxins in maize from India; distributed to the United Kingdom.
- Food Safety Notification (EU# 2012.0055): Listeria monocytogenes in mixed meat products from Spain; distributed to Belgium, Bulgaria, Germany, Greece, Hungary, the Netherlands, the Russian Federation, Slovakia and the United Kingdom.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0056): Ochratoxin A in raisins from Germany; distributed to the Netherlands.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0057): Ethephon in pineapple from Mauritius; distributed to the United Kingdom.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0058): Salmonella in frozen hamburgers from Spain; distributed to Portugal.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Outbreak Alert (Hong Kong): The Centre for Health Protection reports that seven institutional gastroenteritis outbreaks were recorded during the 1st week of January, up from two outbreaks the week before. The agency has issued letters to healthcare professionals and institutions to alert them to the seasonal peak of viral gastroenteritis and to remind them of appropriate measures to prevent the spread of the illness.
Australia and New Zealand
- Outbreak Alert Update (Australia): The Department of Health reports that eggs are the suspected source of a Salmonella outbreak linked to Rizzo’s Pizza in Ballarat. At least 14 people are confirmed ill, including one person who later died. Five additional cases are still under investigation.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.