Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- OTC Pharmaceutical Product Safety Recall: Novartis Consumer Health, Inc. (Parsippany, NJ) recalls select bottle packaging configurations of Excedrin® products (All lots; Expiry dates of December 20, 2014 or earlier), NoDoz® products (All lots; Expiry dates of December 20, 2014 or earlier, Bufferin® products (All lots; Expiry dates of December 20, 2013 or earlier), and Gas-X Prevention® products (All lots; Expiry dates of December 20, 2013 or earlier), because the products may contain stray tablets, capsules or caplets from other Novartis products, or may contain broken or chipped tablets. The recalled products were distributed throughout the USA.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Food Safety Alert (China): The Shenzhen food safety regulator reports having found aflatoxin in peanuts sold in three stores in the region and in cooking oil from four restaurants.
- Food Safety Alert (Hong Kong): The Centre for Food Safety has suspended import of poultry products from certain places in Shenzhen after a confirmed human case of avian influenza (H5N1) was reported.
- Outbreak Alert (Hong Kong): The Centre for Health Protection reports an outbreak of gastroenteritis among two staff members and 19 residents (all women) of a home for the elderly in Kwun Tong District.
- Outbreak Alert (Hong Kong): The Centre for Health Protection reports a suspected food poisoning outbreak among 10 female residents of a halfway house in Wong Tai Sin.
- Outbreak Alert (Jordan): Sixteen residents of Zarqa (east of Amman) were hospitalized with food poisoning symptoms earlier this month. All were reported in stable condition.
- Outbreak Alert (India): Four children and three adults were hospitalized with food poisoning symptoms after sharing a morning meal in Bhuna village.
- Outbreak Alert (India): Six girls are in serious condition and as many as 58 students in all began vomiting after having lunch at a government ashram school in Borgaon village. The girls complained of nausea and giddiness.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.