Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Allergy Alert: Enhorabuena! (Bayamón, PR) recalls Palitos de Guayaba/Guava Sticks (7-oz bags, 11-oz cans and 10-unit packs), due to the presence of undeclared milk, wheat, tree nuts, and eggs. The recalled product was distributed in Puerto Rico retail stores during December 2011.
- Allergy Alert: Bloch’s Best Inc. dba Laromme (Monsey, NY) recalls Laromme brand Vanilla Rugelach (14-oz containers; UPC 87062500954-8), due to the presence of undeclared eggs. The recalled product was distributed in retail stores in Massachusetts, Maryland and New Jersey between November 2nd and December 22, 2011.
- Allergy Alert: Price Chopper recalls Gourmet Stuffed Clams (UPC 20918100000; Sold October 1st through December 23, 2011), due to the presence of undeclared milk, wheat and eggs.
- Food Safety Alert: The Minnesota Department of Agriculture and Pepin Heights Orchards advise consumers to avoid drinking Pepin Heights brand Honeycrisp 100 Percent Fresh Pressed Apple Cider (64-oz plastic jugs; Use by FEB 09 12), after department lab tests found some product may be contaminated with patulin, a mycotoxin. The affected product was distributed in Minnesota, Iowa and Wisconsin.
- Food Safety Recall: Missouri Department of Agriculture’s Meat and Poultry Inspection Program temporarily halts all cooked-meat processing for retail and wholesale at Kleoppel Meats d.b.a Alma Meats (Alma, MO) due to violations identified during an inspection. Kleoppel Meats d.b.a. Alma Meats is recalling 320 pounds of meat, including summer sausage, snack sticks, beef jerky and roast pork produced on various dates between November 14, 2011 and November 23, 2011.
- Food Safety Recall: Green Valley Food Corp. expands its earlier recall of Let’s Grow Healthy Together, Green Valley Food Corp, and Broccosprouts sprout and salad blend products to include additional products. The recall was initiated after random samples tested positive for Listeria monocytogenes. Please refer to the January 3, 2012 recall notice for a detailed list of recalled products.
- Food Safety Recall: Bekkum Family Farms LLC (Westby, WI) recalls Nordic Creamery Brand Grumpy Goat Shreds (8 oz bags; Code date 10-MAR-12), because it may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes. The recalled product was sold in Wisconsin, Minnesota and California beginning November 11, 2011.
- Food Safety Recall: S. Martinelli & Company (Watsonville, CA) recalls Martinelli’s Gold Medal Sparkling Cider (250mL glass bottles in six-packs; Best by 11 APR 2014, 12 APR 2014, 13 APR 2014 and 14 APR 2014), due to the possibility of a defective seal that could break when opening the bottle. The recalled product was distributed in the Western USA.
- Food Safety Recall: Rich Products Corporation recalls 1/4 Sheet Vanilla Flavored Pre-Soaked Sponge Cake Artificially Flavored (Product Code 00405; Produced after July 10, 2011), because small plastic fragments from the packaging were found on top of the product. The recalled product was produced by Rich’s in Ocoyoacac, Mexico and imported into the USA by Rich’s.
- Outbreak Alert Update: CDC reports that 19 cases of Salmonella Typhimurium infections in seven states are linked to consumption of ground beef purchased from Hannaford supermarkets. The confirmed illnesses were reported in Hawaii (1), Kentucky (1), Massachusetts (1), Maine (4), New Hampshire (6), New York (5) and Vermont (1).
- Allergy Alert (Germany): Milupa GmbH recalls Milubrei Abendbrei Banana Cereal, for ages 4-months and up, due to the presence of undeclared gluten and wheat.
- Food Safety Recall (Switzerland): Ferme de Jouvence recalls Le Camembert Fermier (275g pkg; Lot #11309VC; Best if used by 14.01.2012), because the product may be contaminated with Salmonella. The camembert was imported into Switzerland from France in mid-December 2011.
- Pharmaceutical Product Safety Recall (France): Le Laboratoire Hospira France recalls Tomudex 2mg Powder for Infusion solution (Lots #1857244V (EXP février 2013), 1857244M (EXP février 2013), 1857244F (EXP février 2013), 1857245P (EXP mars 2013), and 1857245W (EXP mars 2013)), because the sterility of the product may not be assured.
Australia and New Zealand
- Food Safety Recall (Australia): Coles Supermarkets Pty Ltd recalls Coles Frozen Chicken and Vegetable Pies (4-pack/700g; Best before 18 MAR 13 and 19 MAR 13), due to the presence of bone fragments. The recalled products were distributed nationally in Coles, BI-LO and Pick n’ Pay stores.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.