Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Allergy Alert: Shamrock Foods (Phoenix, AZ) recalls approximately 7,500 pounds of marinated beef and marinated chicken products because the marinated beef product contains undeclared soybeans, wheat, and sulfites, and the marinated chicken product contains undeclared wheat, milk and sulfites. The recalled products were produced from Dec. 1, 2011 through Dec. 29, 2011, and shipped to food service institutions in Arizona.
- Food Safety Recall/Alert: The Massachusetts Department of Public Health (MDPH) warns consumers to avoid consumption of certain Fromagerie Marie Kade brand cheese and milk products because the products may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes. The cheeses were recalled by the Canadian manufacturer (3903052 Canada Inc., Boisbriand, Quebec) after consumption of one of the cheeses was linked to a single case of listeriosis in Canada. The affected cheeses were distributed to Cedar Market (Norwood, MA) and Bahnan’s (Worcester, MA) and include the following items: Akawi Cheese (Best Before 08 MAR 2012), Baladi Cheese (Best Before 08 FEB 2012), Shinglish Cheese (Best Before 07 NOV 2012), Tresse Cheese (Best Before 10 NOV 2012), Vachekaval Cheese (Best Before 10 MAR 2012), Halloom (Best Before 01 MAY 2012), and Moujadale (Best Before 04 MAY 2012).
- Food Safety Recall: Green Valley Food Corp expands its earlier recall of sprout products to include additional products that may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes. The company expanded its recall after testing of several random samples yielded Listeria monocytogenes. The recall includes Let’s Grow Healthy Together, Green Valley Food Corp and Broccosprouts brands of products. Please refer to the recall notice for complete details.
- Food Safety Recall: Miller’s Cheese Corp recalls several Miller’s Shredded Cheese and Haolam Shredded Cheese products, due to potential contamination with Listeria monocytogenes. The recalled cheeses were sold in Stop & Shop and Giant Food stores.
- Food Safety Recall: The Kroger Company advises its customers that Wrapped Iceberg Lettuce (24 ct) has been recalled from affected Smith’s stores in North Carolina, Virginia, Eastern WV, Eastern Kentucky, and SE Ohio, due to potential contamination with Salmonella.
- Personal Care Product Safety Recall: HimalayaUSA® recalls Organique by Himalaya Nourishing Night Cream (Batch #S691001 and #S691002), due to contamination with Staphylococcus aureus and fungus.
- Food Safety Recall: Safie Specialty Foods Company, Inc. recalls Sweet Pickled Beets (1L jars; Best before Aug 18, 2013 or later), after a consumer finds glass in the product. The recalled products were sold between August 18 and December 30, 2011 in Costco Wholesale warehouses in British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba.
- Food Safety Recall (Finland): Lidl Finland Ky recalls Harvin brand Pineapple slices (565g; Code L2312A1324 – 31.12.2013), because the product contains tin in excess of the allowable limit.
- Outbreak Alert (UK): Two wards at Wrexham Maelor Hospital have been closed to new admissions due to an outbreak of norovirus at the hospital.
Australia and New Zealand
- Food Safety Recall (Australia): SA Sprouts recalls all sprout varieties (all Use By dates up to and including 06 01 12), due to contamination with E. coli. The recalled sprouts were sold at Foodlands, IGA and Fruit and vegetable stores in South Australia.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.